German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, here I am again in my neverending search of a decent kibble for my four-legged kids.

I'm going to try Fromm, I already ordered a 5 lbs bag online since I can't find it locally.
But I want to find something that's good and that I can find in the stores here, and so far I have found Merrick to be one of the most decent, at least from what I have read in their site and some random reviews.

What do you think? Those of you who have fed it, what is good and is there anything bad about it?

Thank you in advance!

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
ok, here I am again in my neverending search of a decent kibble for my four-legged kids.

I'm going to try Fromm, I already ordered a 5 lbs bag online since I can't find it locally.
But I want to find something that's good and that I can find in the stores here, and so far I have found Merrick to be one of the most decent, at least from what I have read in their site and some random reviews.

What do you think? Those of you who have fed it, what is good and is there anything bad about it?

Thank you in advance!
There is nothing bad about it except it is a very average food at a very high price. It runs about 1.50lb and is really a .75lb dog food. Well marketed and that is the reason. Not worth the money unless you like the warm and fuzzy names.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Although the ingredients look really good, both our dog and our cats do not care for this brand. Dog had soft stools on this (canned only).

·
Registered
529 Posts
My dogs love it and I can get it locally. I am currently feeding Precise Sensicare due to skin issues that Cody is having but would not have changed if I didn't need to. It is one of the higher priced foods but my dogs loved it.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies!

sable, at least in my case what I like is that they seem to make their food in the US with US products (unless I'm mistaken about that). And also, comparing ingredients, is better than most foods I can find around here.

Gretchen, then you fed only the canned food? I'm looking at the dry food, I hope that one doesn't give loose stools.

IloveGSDs, thanks! What kind were you feeding? I'm thinking of getting the Whole Earth Farms one.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I've had Medo on it since we got him after a horrid week on Wellness. So far so good. Grammy's Pot Pie isn't agreement with him as much as the Cowboy Cookout recipe did. I might go back to that or switch to another (I will mix the dogs' food up every few bags or so).

I've found that at least for him I can feed quite a bit less than what is recommeneded on the bag.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Thanks for the replies!

sable, at least in my case what I like is that they seem to make their food in the US with US products (unless I'm mistaken about that). And also, comparing ingredients, is better than most foods I can find around here.

Gretchen, then you fed only the canned food? I'm looking at the dry food, I hope that one doesn't give loose stools.

IloveGSDs, thanks! What kind were you feeding? I'm thinking of getting the Whole Earth Farms one.
There are dozens of brands with "US Only" ingredients. Some vitamins and flax of course is sourced outside the US. Flax comes almost always from Canada. Some vitamins are imported, actually the best canine vitamin mix made today comes from Switzerland. In fact it is the the only source of Taurine that does not come from China.

It is your money. Dogs seem to like Merrick its just a rip off.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, GSDElsa! I'll see how this food agrees with mine too, lol. I'm going to try a smaller bag and if they like it and do well on it, I'll get a bigger one later.

Thanks, sable! Yeah, I wish it was cheaper, but believe me it's not easy getting decent food around here. It's mostly Purina, Pedigree, Avoderm and then Blue Buffalo and all the Diamond products. But I had LOTS and I mean LOTS of problems with BB so I'd rather stay away from them. And I'm scared of Diamond foods so I don't get those either. :(

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Thanks, GSDElsa! I'll see how this food agrees with mine too, lol. I'm going to try a smaller bag and if they like it and do well on it, I'll get a bigger one later.

Thanks, sable! Yeah, I wish it was cheaper, but believe me it's not easy getting decent food around here. It's mostly Purina, Pedigree, Avoderm and then Blue Buffalo and all the Diamond products. But I had LOTS and I mean LOTS of problems with BB so I'd rather stay away from them. And I'm scared of Diamond foods so I don't get those either. :(
Well if that doesnt work Pro Plan Select is a good choice.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I feed the Merrick canned food daily and have fed the dry as well, my dogs LOVE it, I have never had a dog with problems eating this, and I have several breeds and different sizes, in fact I had more problems with Origen than Merrick.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I feed the canned food daily and my dogs LOVE it!!

Have only fed the dry to the Beagles ... they seemed to like it but they are Beagles so of course they did :) Recently switched them to FROMM ... only b/c the Merrick Senior Medley was not stocked at the store, I had to order it 2 weeks before I needed it. That is just a hassle so I switched them ... they all continue to get the canned food daily.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thank you all again!
I went to Petco today and they didn't have the Whole Earth farms in stock, oh well.
I got a 5lb bag of Granny's pot pie so they can try it.

Which kind of the dry food do you feed them, LARHAGE?

Oh, and I have a little story to share.
I was stupid and thought, ok if it turns out they don't like the Merrick or something maybe I could get a small bag of BB, just to mix it in and all.
The bags in Petco were all torn and open, no thank you. I went to Petsmart instead, and as soon as I grabbed a small BB bag... I see a maggot crawling in and out of the bag... I screamed and let go of the bag, an employee came to see what had happened and took the bag "to the back" when I showed him.
I walked out of there and I'm not coming back.
Note to self: When I said no more BB, I really meant it. No more BB in this house! EVER!

·
Registered
266 Posts
I would reccommend the Whole Earth Farms by Merrick if you can find it. Its a great price and in a 35lb bag. Frodo did fine on it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Both my dogs love this brand of food, I give them dry TOTW with a topping of this canned food, they get a different flavor at each meal and seem to love the variety.

There is a flavor called Wingery or something like that and it shocked me that there were real chicken wings in there!!! Dogs loved it!! and my dogs are picky, I am the only one in the world who has two large dogs and still has to pull out the dust buster after every meal that the kids eat because my dogs are food snobs!! :D

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Loyall

Was at my dog club meeting yesterday. Loyall seems to be gaining a ton of traction with a diverse group of owners. I saw a few Shepherd breeders at a show using it.

Anyone using it?

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Dejavu,

I feed the Turducken and Grammys Pot Pie dry kibble, as well as a different canned flavor everyday, they love Merrick, I tend to rotate kibbles among different brands, but I only use Merrick canned, it's the only food my super picky Chihuahua actually dances with excitement for. :)

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Was at my dog club meeting yesterday. Loyall seems to be gaining a ton of traction with a diverse group of owners. I saw a few Shepherd breeders at a show using it.

Anyone using it?
I wouldn't even look at it, judging by the ingredients. First ingredient is a by-product, after that all corn and rice... Look at better quality food (such as Orijen and Acana, Evo, etc).

·
Registered
339 Posts
Karloff and Kyra (the new girl) both love Merrick canned, especially Wingaling and Smothered Comfort, which have whole pieces of chicken in the can. Haven't tried the kibble because I'm happy with TOTW.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts