German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Edit: Not crated, in an X-pen to be exact.

My puppy is just turning 14 wks old. I have to leave by 6AM so she is crated 4.5- 5 hours in the morning before my dog walker arrives. I have a puppy cam, and see that she just sleeps. I have some sturdy toys in there but she doesn't touch them. She is very good at entertaining herself with the same toys when out of the crate and I am home, but doesn't touch them while crated.

I don't know if she is sleeping out of boredom, or it's just her age. In the event of boredom I've been trying to find ideas for something safe that might mentally stimulate her when crated. I haven't found any puzzles or dog toys that don't involve food. I can't leave stuffed Kongs or treat dispensing toys with her because it draws ants. (I've had the place exterminated, but that has only cut down on them somewhat. I have to keep all food bits cleaned up. I'm in an attached townhouse, so I am a bit at the mercy of my neighbors in regards to pests.)

I imagine as she gets older, she'll be more active and preventing boredom will be more important. Any suggestions on interactive, non-food toys or games she can entertain herself with? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
382 Posts
One thing I thought if doing is setting up a thing that when they pull on kne side it moves in a different side, I just cant think of how to do it . For me I will hide treats in the crate before u leave I know she will find them no more then 30 sec after I leave but that's all I got for now.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One thing I thought if doing is setting up a thing that when they pull on kne side it moves in a different side, I just cant think of how to do it . For me I will hide treats in the crate before u leave I know she will find them no more then 30 sec after I leave but that's all I got for now.
Hmmm... the movement suggestion makes me wonder if there is not some kind of motion activated toy that she couldn't destroy. Thanks. Not sure what other people do for non-food motivated dogs for example, but judging from the lack of response, I'm thinking I might be out of luck! :) Will ponder.

·
Super Moderator
6,703 Posts
Sleeping and relaxing is actually a good thing while dogs are left alone.I wouldn't want to inadvertently create restlessness and a need to be entertained constantly.IMO it's important for them to learn to be chill when confined in case of confinement at the vet,because of injury or surgery,etc.

Reactions: Jax08 and Muskeg

·
Registered
311 Posts
My dog tends to prefer to just sleep in his crate as well. I think it's a natural response. It's safe space, and sleeping area, rather than a play area. He'll play all day outside the crate but if he goes in himself or if I need to go somewhere and put him in the crate, he naps until I get back.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I want my dogs to sleep and relax in the house when I am not home, and in the car. I'd just let her chill, it's very natural to a dog to sleep a good amount of the day, if their needs are met otherwise!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts