German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reagan obeys and loves both my wife and I, but he acts diffidently towards us. He is more loving and protective of her (he seems to be a lady's man in general). With me he seems more playful and responds to commands faster. This may stem from the fact that I feed him, groom him, take him out, and do the better part of his training. Strangely enough, after working at a kennel for 13 years, Krista is more of a cat person. I don't mind anything about this, part of why I wanted a Shepherd was to protect Krista when I'm out of the country. I just think it's a little odd. Do any of your dogs act differently toward men and women?

·
Super Moderator
32,588 Posts
Mine do and always have. It's not at all unusual for dogs to bond more strongly with one person in a household than with the other/s, and in my experience it's with the opposite gender. We've had 4 females and one male - all the females have bonded more strongly with my husband, and Keefer lives for me. I've always done all the training, all the grooming, and most of the feeding, so it's not that. Both our dogs love both of us, that's very apparent. But Keefer follows me around like there's an invisible thread attaching us together, and when I'm gone he waits for me to come back. He does drape himself across my husband's lap for loves and clearly adores him but there's something more with me. Halo works very well with me in training and also seeks out my attention and affection, but if Tom is there too, she's all about him.

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
Rayden is a Mama's boy - that means you don't mess with his Mama! or his girls, for that matter.

I've heard that girls tend to prefer men, males prefer women. Rayden obeys both of us, but the "voice of god" is me, not DH. Of course, I do all the work with him as well. Water dish is empty? Rayden will walk past everyone in the house to get me out of bed to fill it (or at least yell "someone water the dog!"). Before we put in the doggie door, it was the same if he had to go potty.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Definitely! Stosh, our male, is a big mushy boy, LOVES me and is clearly "my" dog, would do anything for me- although he loves roughhousing with my husband, biting him harder than I'd allow, you know- guy stuff. Uschi, the female, is much closer to my husband- she adores him! She can't get enough of him, all she wants is for him to pet her, tell her how good and pretty she is. Since my husband travels a lot, Uschi resigns herself to getting some attention from me. She prefers men in general, Stosh just prefers me. I'm sure he'll be wonderful company and a good protector of your wife and home. Just having him in the house is enough of a deterrent.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
All my dogs (male or female) listened to me better than other family members and were MUCH more bonded with me although they would ask other family members for attention if they wanted petting (or if my terrier wanted someone to throw the ball.) Probably because I'm the one who feeds them, walks them, trains them, etc...
Most of the time Bianca will only obey me, she ignores commands from my family members and also really only tries to play with me.

·
2,967 Posts
There is very clearly a division in my house about which dogs "belong" to which person. They're all manageable and affectionate for both of us- providing their Person #1 is not present. We can usually count on Dad to wind them up, and Mom to calm them down. But they always love and listen best to their primary trainer and handler. Argos and Cade are Mom's dogs. Anka, Ike, and Tag are Dad's.

·
Registered
537 Posts
My girls love my daughter and I, we are the "dog" people at our house. Bella, our freeway rescue, took months to let my husband a teenage son near her. She now approaches visiting men shyly , and will let them pet her. We are so proud of her. Mia loves every visitor who comes to the house and welcomes them as if they were a part of the family.

·
Registered
134 Posts
But Keefer follows me around like there's an invisible thread attaching us together, and when I'm gone he waits for me to come back.
I love this! That is exactly what Capone does with me, as soon as I leave the room his up and following me. He will go up and down the stairs forever following me as I clean. He watches my boyfriend get up and leave the room but very rarely follows him.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Baron, (our 3 yo male GSD) prefers us to be together and will usually go back and forth if we are seperate in the house or in the back yard. I would say he probably obeys me a little better than my wife but it isn't a big difference and likewise I would say that he plays about equally rough (likes to mouth!) with both of us.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I am the person the dogs want to be with, because the kids ignore them or tell them to go away...and DH is always in and out. Though when DH is outside and I'm in the dogs want out there sooo bad. Chicken feeding time is a highlight of their routinely night-bonding with dad!
I am the one that trains, feeds, grooms plays with the dogs, if someone took those chores over, the dogs would be fine with it, and show their loyalty and gratitude, I'm sure...

·
Registered
508 Posts
Oh yes! :gsdsit:

My first bordercollie was a man's girl. She listened to me and my dad really well, and my mom... not so much.

My last bordercollie was a mommy's girl, but she listened really well and obeyed me. But sometimes when my sisters or my mom were around she would sing to them when she first saw them she just loved women. (and didn't like children)

Some dogs really fixate one one person, and some dogs select a type or group of people they prefer over others. It's really intersting.:cool:

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
well there aren't any guys in my house just me and my mom, Dodger likes my mom but adores me. I'm the one who can get him to do anything mom... not so much lol.

·
Registered
522 Posts
King likes me and my mom the most, he could care less if the guys in the house payed any attention to him, haha. I do notice that when just me and my mom are home, he barks at every car passing our house, he's more protective with just girls home.

Skylar likes me and my mom the most, again- but for strangers she likes men more, which is strange.

Needless to say, my mother and I train/play with/ feed all of the dogs and love them the most, so that probably has something to do with it. :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
We've only had Ziva about 4 months, but she's clearly a 'Daddy's Girl'. It's the same with our cats: the little girl is also a 'Daddy's Girl' & the 3 boys follow me around. (Well, not so much since the dog entered our lives!;))

Becky

·
Registered
906 Posts
Brody knows that I'm mom and the boss. My husband is his best friend. He takes him to play and throw the ball. I feed him, train with him, and take him on our "working" walks each evening. If he's hurt or wants loving he comes to me. If he wants to play, he goes to my husband. The same with our other dog, Eric is her bestfriend and I'm mom/boss. When her and Eric are play fighting, she won't stop if he says enough or no. I have to call her off...It's quite entertaining to me. If i say "Help Zelly!" She goes right after him and attacks him...half serious/half playing :) It was annoying when I heard a dog trainer say GSD's respond more to males and rough voices...psshhhhhh! Even my husband will laugh at that. I have a really girly voice ( I sound like I'm 5 on the phone...I hate it) I think it depends really on who works with the dogs and lays down the law!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts