German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I recently discovered this on the bottom of Ellie’s tongue?? No vet appointment until Tuesday at earliest (gonna call again tomorrow). I thought it was a blood blister, but started looking into it. Would like an opinion, I’m freaking out

Attachments

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Melanoma is almost always black. That's what 'melano' means. Have never seen anything like that, though I have seen melanoma in horses and humans and it does not remotely similar.

That looks sort of like a blood blister to me. Could have just injured his tongue. Anyway, I would definitely get the vet to check it out!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Melanoma is almost always black. That's what 'melano' means. Have never seen anything like that, though I have seen melanoma in horses and humans and it does not remotely similar.

That looks sort of like a blood blister to me. Could have just injured his tongue. Anyway, I would definitely get the vet to check it out!
Ah! I did not know that, fun (not so fun) fact. I kinda thought it was a blood blister but it is semi hard to touch and gets darker in center. You can also see bump on top of tongue where it is.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Get it checked.

I'm dealing with ocular limbal melanoma in my dog right now -- but we caught it early enough to hopefully save the eye. One of the most interesting things I've learned is there's a new melanoma DNA-based immuno-therapy called ONCEPT -- they call it a "melanoma vaccine" but it's really a treatment. It teaches the dog's own immune system to recognize and destroy melanoma cells left behind after surgical tumor removal. It's only available from vet oncologists -- 4 treatments, one or two weeks apart, at a cost of about $700 each.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Yeah, don't like the sound of this: You can also see bump on top of tongue where it is. :frown2:

Get it checked for sure, the sooner the better!

Last week I had to help a friend of mine take her beagle mix to be euthanized due to cancer. Sad, sad day for everyone...:crying: The original tumor was under his skin near the elbow, but in the end, it metastasized to his mouth as well.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
By the way, don't settle for "it doesn't look like melanoma usually does" as a diagnosis. Insist on sending a sample to pathology.

My dog's eye melanoma was not a classic presentation. Even the vet opthalmologist thought that it "probably" wasn't one based on appearance -- she'd never seen one present this way... but she wanted to be sure. It was one.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My boy eventually died of oral melanoma that was treated, but eventually metastasized to his lungs and bladder (he was PTS when he suddenly could no longer pee). It was dark black, and looked like a small head of cauliflower when we found it at the back of his mouth. Looked nothing like what you are seeing, but it's good you're having it checked out. Deep breaths! It may well be nothing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts