German Shepherds Forum banner

301 - 320 of 338 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #301 (Edited)
Super beautiful dog!

Does she have a long coat along her spine? She has a little wave there.
Thanks! She has had the wavy hair on her spine since like 5 months lol. It's kinda unique!

She plays with one of her brother siblings and he doesn't have it and I dont remember if the mom or dad had it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #306
At the vet. Going to have to put her insurance, was hoping I'd never need too, to the test. She seemed off today. Lethargic mostly. Still has appetite. I was petting her chin and neck and noticed crusty hair spot. I looked closer and she's got a puncture. Luckily we caught it today. It definitely wasn't there yesterday because I brushed her. The hair never stops! Hopefully this is just a shave hair and clean the wound procedure. I really think it had to have been one of the cats and that's really not good...

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #307
Good news is her skin wasnt punctured. Vet doc says it's a pretty bad hot spot. I dont remember seeing her scratch her neck a lot lately. This tells me she's had it going for a while and it all caught up to her today. Earlier today noticed she wasnt running her normal speed after the ball or flirt pole today. Her rough playing with her lab boyfriend last night probably did it in.
Got a spray for every 12 hours and an antibiotic every 24 hours for 10 days. I feel so bad for her! She'll get through. My 8 year old daughter was balling when we got home. Her eyes still goopy from sedation, the wobbling around still and large red spot on her neck was too much for my daughter. I'm so glad I did the right thing by taking her in right when I noticed something wrong with her. I've noticed some in past here take a picture, post here asking for guidance, then waiting for guidance and most everyone say to take to vet. Let's hope Embrace insurance pulls through. They'll have the claim tonight.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Hot spots can grow exponentially overnight. Ziva had one that was smaller than a dime one evening. I cleaned it, put vetericyn spray on it and planned to watch it. Next morning it was a 3 inch diameter crusty, green, oozing mess. She developed a fever by the time I got into the vet that afternoon. Antibiotics, cone of shame, ect. It cleared up fairly quickly. Took her hair a good bit to grow back though.
Don't feel bad that you missed something. It probably wasn't even there when you brushed her out the day before. Glad you got her in to the vet. She'll likely heal up quick.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #309
@Springbrz Thanks! She's back to her energetic self today. Got Simplicef antibiotics and gentamicin spray. Hope the swelling goes down soon.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #310
Mei's antibiotics make her feel sick. Four more pills left.... Debating on just stopping and sticking to the spray. I've had to really gourmet up her food to get her to eat. Just want this to be over with.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #313
She's doing better. Neck still looks gross but its dry and healing. Looks like the insurance pulled through!!

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #316
She's dead set on another dog...too bad that dog shes lookin at doesn't get along with other dogs.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #317
This is getting really old. It's taking her longer to blow her winter coat than the summer one! Kinda makes sense though with the double coat thing in winter. I was pulling chunks of white fluff from her hind leg areas.

This is nothing compared to last time so progress? Bathing her today too. Gotta find de-shedder shampoo.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #320 (Edited)
Mei's third and probably last heat cycle has begun. Perfect timing because its getting HOT quick. First sign of blood today and I already suspected because it's right on time as I guessed and she's been a little swollen. She's been in a bluh mood all day...
I will probably schedule her spay November or December. That'll put her at 22-23 months old. If she continues this schedule her next heat would be February. Is it good to have at least a 2-3 month buffer between when she ends heat and starts another?

301 - 320 of 338 Posts