German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I had a cord of wood delivered. I live very rural and socializing is difficult because there just are no places to just be able to take a puppy. Shayna is four months old, so I asked the man if he would mind if I let her loose with us as he and his son unloaded and stacked the wood. He agreed. Shayna ran over, then hackles rose and she raced back toward the front door. My son and I walked back to her and came back halfway to them, knelt down and petted her as she sat watching. They had a large pickup and the very long trailer with the wood. The noise was fairly loud and as they stacked, they occasionally hit the metal sides with a large bang. Then we walked halfway closer again and knelt. Within five minutes she was running around them, weaving in and out of the growing stacks of wood. The noise didn't matter and the man and his son were watched, but only with curiousity. Eventually she started to get underfoot, so we put her back in one of the yards where she could watch, but not be in the way. I was so proud of her!

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Awesome!!! Glad the wood people where okay with her, and good for you take every chance you can get to socialize Shayna.

I pretty much have the same challenges for socializing my dogs, so sometimes I would just drive out to a more built up residential area for a leash walk. Take my young dogs with me on errands, and just walk around parking lots and around strip malls, and so on. It was a challenge, and did require extra effort, but when those early socialization windows are missed, they can't be gotten back.

Shayna did good though!! The important thing is that even though initially she was scared, she recovered and then got comfortable enough to explore all the new going-ons. Good puppy!

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used to take my puppies to a flea market not too far away and walk around it once they had all their shots. But the last time I went they had a sign up 'no dogs'. I always clean up after my puppies, but I guess some didn't. I also asked permission at each barn before entering if it was all right to bring a puppy in. Now we just do the same, drive into town, walk in neighborhoods as we can, no sidewalks there, and I don't like walking in the street. Luckily my son just moved back home and friends of his are beginning to find out. They all get to meet her as well. I think today the big truck, the trailer and the sound of the wood hitting the pile and the metal threw her off, but life is filled with unexpected sounds and sights.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh! I raise and show dogs, though not GSDs, so that's why I talked about 'my puppies'. I lost my fourteen year old Doberman last Easter, and after grieving for a while, I got Shayna.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts