German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are moving tomorrow into my in-laws house, until we find jobs and a house of our own. I have one slight problem, the have a cat from heck. This cat is not at all nice, but is their beloved pet. How do I handle my dog meeting this animal? He is 10 months old and has never been around a cat before. I plan on keeping him leashed in the house at all times. Other than that what can I do to help him not try to kill the cat?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Most and the key word is most dogs get scratched at a couple times and learn. Some don't ever learn. My male learned, but it took about a month of constant supervision, redirection, and training. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
32,552 Posts
I plan on keeping him leashed in the house at all times. Other than that what can I do to help him not try to kill the cat?
I think that's the best plan. Your situation is temporary and you're not sure exactly how long you're going to be living there, so for me I'd be focusing on management. If you decide you also want to do some training, fine, but to be absolutely sure that the cat stays safe (and that you remain in the good graces of your in-laws!), you need to keep him crated or on leash at all times, unless you're closed in a room with him and you know that the cat is elsewhere.

I've had GSDs and cats together since 1986, and I've never not had to work on it a LOT, and I mean months and even years. And still, I have a cat room with a baby gate over the door that the cats can jump, and I never leave them alone together in the house when we're not home. The dogs could actually jump the gate too, but they do respect the barrier. The cat food and water is in there, their litter box, their toys, and their cat tree. The dogs go into the garage pen with a dog door to an outside run when we're gone, and the cats have free run of the house. At night the dogs are crated in our bedroom, and the cats get closed into their room.

I don't think my dogs would deliberately harm the cats, but it's always possible that an accident could happen, and it's just not worth the risk to me. Keefer & Halo will still chase the cats if they run, and if they get caught out and don't run they get slimed :sick: but other than that everyone gets along fairly well. But the kitties are 11 and 12 years old and have been around dogs virtually their entire lives (since a few months old), and the dogs have been around the cats since 9/10 weeks old too, (Keefer is almost 8, and Halo is 4-1/2) so a lot of exposure and training have gone into the situation over a period of years.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice! We are leaving in the morning and driving 700 miles. I will have 3 kids and a dog in the SUV with me. Wish me luck, lol.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts