German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always had dogs (started with Shelties over 20 years ago!), got a collie and a mutt a few years ago, but I've always wanted a German Shepherd. So, here's Loki, a 10 week old black German Shepherd. We're already working on training, and he's got sit, gentle (for treats and hand feeding) and come down pretty well.

I've always had to deal with taping/gluing Sheltie ears, so dealing with his wonky ears is fun. Up one day, super tipsy the next.

Any tips or tricks you can give me would be appreciated! I mean, I've been training smart herding dogs for years (Shelties are only a few points down the doggie IQ scale than Shepherds, after all), but they aren't nearly as driven as a Shepherd!

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
Welcome Amber,
His ears will be up and down for quite some time. All the way through the teething phase they will change. Then 1 day when you have stopped noticing, they will be up :)

I think the biggest difference you will notice from the Sheltie is the size. Prepare yourself for constant changes throughout the 1st year. I swear my 8 month male could fit in my lap a few days ago ;)

Loki is very cute, good luck with him.

Reactions: Amber Hughey

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Hi there!

Good name ;) (I have my own Loki) and super cute pup!

Congratulations and welcome to the forum. People are almost always very knowledgable, friendly, and supportive here. We all love to keep tabs on each other's lives with our pups, it's a lot of fun!

I'm new here, too, but I'm really enjoying it a lot. Unfortunately my Loki is going through a bit of a health scare currently, and so many people here are supporting us through it. It's really nice to feel that. So you've found an awesome spot to learn and grow with your new pup!

Congratulations and welcome again!

Leigh

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Hello and welcome! Loki is beautiful. I love her attentive expression. She looks very smart. I'm fond of shelties too. My first dog (of my own, not a family dog) was a sheltie when I was 13. What I truly wanted was a rough collie, but my parents are toy-dog people, so I considered getting a small herding dog a huge win. We called her, our perfect dog, because she never seemed to do anything wrong. I'm looking forward to hearing more about Loki and the rest of your pack. :)

·
Registered
587 Posts
Nice looking pup there! Welcome. Best advice I can give a new GSD owner is getting your pup lots of exposure and socialization. Take him with you everywhere you can. Get him comfortable with people other than your immediate family. He will always be attached to you at the hip.

They are super smart. My guy is 12 weeks and he got sit, look, down, paw, come and stay. What I’m most proud of is heel. He comes, circles clockwise at my right leg and sits shoulder to knee and looks up at me on command. Vet said yesterday he never seen a 12 week old puppy do that especially with all the distractions of a vet office.

Pretty proud, you will continue to be too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've always had dogs (started with Shelties over 20 years ago!), got a collie and a mutt a few years ago, but I've always wanted a German Shepherd. So, here's Loki, a 10 week old black German Shepherd. We're already working on training, and he's got sit, gentle (for treats and hand feeding) and come down pretty well.

I've always had to deal with taping/gluing Sheltie ears, so dealing with his wonky ears is fun. Up one day, super tipsy the next.

Any tips or tricks you can give me would be appreciated! I mean, I've been training smart herding dogs for years (Shelties are only a few points down the doggie IQ scale than Shepherds, after all), but they aren't nearly as driven as a Shepherd!
That's a beautiful puppy! I am sure he will be handsome fella.

Any tips:

Reduce bad behaviors early on like jumping and biting.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Congrats on the new pup. Good looking pup ! Even though you have plenty of experience, I would still suggest some formal basic obedience. Preferably with a trainer experienced with German shepherd dogs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts