German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow GSD lovers, my name's Craig, but it's not all about me now is it? :D

Here's my Black GSD Layla! I got her about 6 months and 13 days ago (that's not obsessive is it?) and she's been spoiled since! She's pretty big now too! 51 pounds! I think she's about 7 1/2 - 8 months old.

A couple of questions!
#1 I am curious if her weight is on track or average
#2 Has anyone bought a bed from anywhere for their GSD?
I am thinking about buying her one because sometimes she gets off of my bed and sleeps on the floor, even though she is allowed to sleep on my bed.
#3 Has anyone ever had any issues with a micro-chip? I got her one yesterday
#4 My dog went in to the vets yesterday because she broke her water bowl (which was glass) and she cut her face and had to get stitches :(.
Any tips on keeping them from having issues? Though she seems to be doing fine with them :)
#5 Has anyone used the pet GPS locator? I'm thinking about getting one

And here's some pictures!!

Here's one from when I first got her

And a current picture :)

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hebrew for "Night." What a beautiful name for an all-black GSD! You have a very beautiful girl! :)

Congratulations and welcome to the forum! :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually didn't know that! Thank you for telling me! I actually named her after an Eric Clapton song. Now her name is a million times cooler! :D

·
Registered
419 Posts
Beautiful girl and beautiful name!
Well I am by no means a GSD "expert" but I do have opinions on some of your questions.
The standard GSD weight chart indicates a 7-8 month old female's weight should be in the range of 54-57 lbs. However, every dog is different and I would only use that as a guideline.
As for the glass bowl, I would personally replace that with a stainless steel bowl so you don't have a repeat of that accident with a glass/ceramic bowl. I hear plastic is not a good idea as some dogs can develop an allergic reaction to them and also bacteria can develop in their mouths if they constantly chew on them.
My girls have 4" thick orthopedic beds with a sherpa topping which I have set up in my bedroom and they absolutely love them. They alternate between my bed and theirs but for the most part sleep mostly on their own beds. I've purchased mine from Petsmart and Amazon and haven't had any issues with them. The outer liner is machine washable.
My girls are micro chipped and I have never had any issues with them. Most companies require an annual fee to keep them active in their national database.
Best of luck to you and your girl! She's a beauty!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
She's beautiful, my next gsd I want is an all black, my little guy I just bought a Couple of days ago is mostly black with a little tan on his paws....

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Ali
Thanks for the tips! I already decided no more glass and was cautious about plastic because it can break in to a sharp shard too, so I'll definitely be going with metal bowls.

@BellaLuna
That's awesome! I hope you the best of luck with your newest GSD you just got! They're awesome dogs, way better than I expected

1 - 6 of 6 Posts