German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I originally posted about finding a purebred German Shepherd breeder. Made a decision on one but then I saw that these foster puppies were needing homes. I decided that I would just meet them but not make a decision. I immediately fell in love with this one. She was super sweet and calm for a puppy. They’re about 3-4 months old. I messaged the breeder and she completely understood. Told me when I was ready to get a puppy from her I contact her anytime. My heart and gut told me to adopt this puppy. I get her in a week.

Does anyone have a German Shepherd lab mix? And can tell me their experience? She is potty trained and knows sit. She definitely has the German Shepherd appearance but soft and fuzzy like a lab with some white markings on her chest and paws.

Attachments

·
Registered
771 Posts
I have a german shepherd lab mix. She's a pretty amazing dog. Learns very quick, is responsive to corrections but in no way shuts down or is too soft like some labs can be. Loves fetch beyond anything else, I did a lot of work that kind of got undone by my roommate to have her keep a level head when playing fetch.

My one heads up which will be hard to do because of corona virus is to get a lot of good socialization/exposure in. My girl is very environmentally sound fireworks, weird flooring etc. don't phase her. But after she hit maturity she became fearful of strangers.

It's kind of sad to see but you can watch it happen. It's like the lab part of her brain triggers and she gets excited to see a person she'll start running to say hi and then all of the sudden the "GSD" part of her brain kicks in and she gets a confused fear response because she wants to say hi but her brain says be careful. I've worked a lot on it and she's gotten a lot better but she'll never be 100%. It's a shame to because as a puppy and younger dog she was amazing with strangers, kids, everybody but she after her second heat she changed. Her mother wasn't neutral to strangers (not aggressive or fearful) but not exactly trusting everybody is my best friend so that likely contributes as well. She just was more reserved vs. the grandma was fine with strangers after an initial alert.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
OP, congratulations on your new pup!

Research has found that a mixed breed dog usually acts most like the breed that the dog resembles and your girl definitely resembles a beautiful German Shepherd. Since you originally were looking at German Shepherds, that's good news for you!

German Shepherds are known for being aloof or suspicious of strangers. Those are correct breed traits and what makes them fantastic protectors! Don't expect your puppy to view every one as their best friend at maturity and don't confuse suspicion with fear.

However, there is always wiggle room and mother nature is not an exact science. She just may have inherited a good dose of behavior from the Lab side and might opt to run to greet every stranger with open arms.

Reactions: LuvShepherds

·
Registered
516 Posts
Do as much socialization as you can, safely, while she's young. Get her puppy shots first so she's safe from contagious diseases.
It's hard to say what her personality and temperament will be. My 100% GSD was a rescue and has gone through various phases while my adult son and I have socialized her. Off my farm, she loves all humans and especially kids.
She likes most dogs unless they act domineering or aggressive. But on my farm, she's much more on alert to strangers
coming around. It's like she goes into protective mode, which is fine w/ me.
My son takes her out to public places, stores, dog parks, the beach, swimming in rivers and lakes so she's gotten exposed to many things in 18 mo.
Do as much as you can do safely w/ your little one. And when you get her we'd love to see more pictures.
She does look like a 'real' GSD. Does she have a name yet?
Congratulations, you're in for a world of FUN!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I met her she was surprisingly very calm when I met her. Very sweet and cuddly personality. Would play if you initiated play.

·
Registered
771 Posts
When I met her she was surprisingly very calm when I met her. Very sweet and cuddly personality. Would play if you initiated play.
That's awesome, I hope she grows up to be the perfect pup for you. I am a bit jealous her ears stand up! Bet she's going to be adorable once she grows up

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congrats, cute pup but the pic looks like a full GSD to me
I thought she looked full gsd as well but her fur is softer and fuzzy unlike a gsd that has coarse fur. Here’s more pics. She’s a couple weeks younger.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts