German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 335 Posts

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Jim, my Brother ya done good! Congrats and I'd love to hear more about his progress when you have a few minutes! Sounds like a match made in heaven! Good luck and Congrats once again!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Excellent work!! It is nice to see patience. So often including myself at times we as PSD handlers because of time restraints show little time for patience. Watching your vids and reading your writings he should turn out to be an excellent prospect.

Keep us informed of your progress.

·
Registered
7,410 Posts
Yes my favorite picture is with you both snuggling. Like the idea feeding him the car your patience paid off my moms dog doesn't like the car I will pass on this story. Congratulations!

·
Super Moderator
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks all!

I did see some frustration today from him, right after the bite work when the decoy ran away and hid. He quickly took it out on the leash. He was intense, way up in drive and definitely did not want to stop the bite session. I then saw some more later when I went to take him away from his toys. He came back at the leash real quickly, but he didn't bite me. That was good, and it was over quickly, also good. More things to work on tomorrow, and next week, and next month. I saw a little of what I was told about.

I have a lot to think about over a beer tonight. I will be tweaking my plan each day for sure. Tracking is going very well, I may just track all day for the next month. :smirk:

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Jim, what were his car issues? I have a dog that whines to no end. It is not a low whine either. High pitch, screaming/screeching. He loves getting in the car. Every time we walk by my car, he stops and looks at the door. As the car moves, he starts up. For hours at a time, this goes on. I have recently started with a bark collar that is helping, but he is getting shocked more than I like.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
OMG, that is the first Mal/Dutchie I've ever seen! So that is the don't like multi handlers guy! And of course, video's nice work on the car thing. :)
Malinois and Dutch coming out of KNPV lines are referred to as Mal X (cross) if they are blonde and Dutch X if brindle. KNPV lines liberally cross these two as the focus is on traits for protection work and not color. Most of the Dutch in the US are out of KNPV lines hence crosses. Genetically only the color varies.

In both Malinois and Dutch Shepherds there are "pure" lines referred to as FCI lines. These are not crossed one to the other or at least not for many generations. But there is a lot of argument whether or not they are different breeds or just different coat colors.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
To Slam-dunc... how great this guy has you and your experience and style. All the very best to you and Baru. I know as a fellow Dutch sufferer...and I say that with a big smile on my face....their possessiveness and confidence and determination and bratty insistence is a pain in the you know where but also gives them the hutspa (spelling?) that we so come to love.

And trying to figure out what works for them... totally agree that beer will help. ;-)

·
Super Moderator
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Jim, what were his car issues? I have a dog that whines to no end. It is not a low whine either. High pitch, screaming/screeching. He loves getting in the car. Every time we walk by my car, he stops and looks at the door. As the car moves, he starts up. For hours at a time, this goes on. I have recently started with a bark collar that is helping, but he is getting shocked more than I like.
His issue was not wanting to get in he car and fighting like an Alligator doing a death roll. That issue is fixed and now he happily hops right in. Fortunately for me he is quiet in the car, I would not want the whining that you are dealing with. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
To Slam-dunc... how great this guy has you and your experience and style. All the very best to you and Baru. I know as a fellow Dutch sufferer...and I say that with a big smile on my face....their possessiveness and confidence and determination and bratty insistence is a pain in the you know where but also gives them the hutspa (spelling?) that we so come to love.

And trying to figure out what works for them... totally agree that beer will help. ;-)
Do you think I should give him beer? Maybe that would help?:laugh:

He has already tried to get my coffee.

It is that possessiveness and confidence that will be my next issue to work on. He most certainly has the hutspa

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
Malinois and Dutch coming out of KNPV lines are referred to as Mal X (cross) if they are blonde and Dutch X if brindle. KNPV lines liberally cross these two as the focus is on traits for protection work and not color. Most of the Dutch in the US are out of KNPV lines hence crosses. Genetically only the color varies.

In both Malinois and Dutch Shepherds there are "pure" lines referred to as FCI lines. These are not crossed one to the other or at least not for many generations. But there is a lot of argument whether or not they are different breeds or just different coat colors.
Thanks I had no idea what a Dutch Shepard was until Baillif mentioned them a few months ago.

And ...how do the MAl/GSD's fit into things?? I find those kinda cool. What are those like as "pets" using Mal's a reference point??

I do know Bailiff has no and yeah ...not a lab. :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Congrats Jim....sounds like you will have a great new partner to start the next chapter after Boomer gets his well deserved retirement.

·
Super Moderator
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thanks I had no idea what a Dutch Shepard was until Baillif mentioned them a few months ago.

And ...how do the MAl/GSD's fit into things?? I find those kinda cool. What are those like as "pets" using Mal's a reference point??

I do know Bailiff has no and yeah ...not a lab. :)
Malinois X GSD's are really nice dogs. Just like a GSD or a Malinois they can be great pets. They need exercise and something to do. Some have more drive than others, just like GSD's and Malinois. Generally speaking, they seem to have high drives, less frantic and clearer head. It is a super combination for a Police K-9, SWAT dog or MWD. IMO

·
Super Moderator
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Rzznstr and Bahcan,
Thanks! I am taking it one step at a time and breaking everything down into components and the basics for each exercise or behavior.

Boomer is still going strong and doing great. He could probably work another year. You are right, he has earned his retirement and 10 is a good age to retire.

Here is a pic of Boomer from this past summer:

Attachments

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
Malinois X GSD's are really nice dogs. Just like a GSD or a Malinois they can be great pets. They need exercise and something to do. Some have more drive than others, just like GSD's and Malinois. Generally speaking, they seem to have high drives, less frantic and clearer head. It is a super combination for a Police K-9, SWAT dog or MWD. IMO
Thanks for the input ... this time I'll do research first before acquiring a GSD or derivative thereof. The school of hard knocks taught me about WL dogs ... hard way to learn got stitches on that one. :eek:

My (as it turns out, OS) WL GSD turned out to be a bit more than "a big furry dog with a funny face." Boxer, American Band Dawg, guy. Yeah there was a pretty steep learning curve on that one! :eek:

21 - 40 of 335 Posts