German Shepherds Forum banner

321 - 335 of 335 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Slamdunc, When a Police K9 bites a suspect, how much damage does the dog do? Of course I think that if they are running from police than they had it coming and deserve it!

·
Super Moderator
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #322
It really depends on the suspect, what he is wearing, how hard he fights or assaults the K-9. It also depends on the dog. We train our dogs to hold one spot and push in. The dog will continually push in getting a deeper grip. This actually minimizes damage to the suspect. It also prevents the suspect from slipping a coat or jacket.

All the dogs we select have genetically full, hard grips and will naturally hold onto one spot and push in. When you start with good genetics and enhance it through training, you get a dog that will bite and hold with less damage or injury to the suspect.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I like what Slamdunk once said about the dog--Something about the criminal fighting and then he was wearing Boru like a fur coat. :D

·
Super Moderator
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #326
Boru has been doing well. We have had some nice apprehensions and have some nice drug arrests.

I just finished instructing back to back Patrol and Narcotics detection schools. My time on the street has been limited because of the training. The week I finished the last patrol school Boru tested positive for Heart worm. He has been on preventative and has never missed a month. Heart worm is becoming a big thing here and neither Heartgard or Sentinel work very well. Boru is the 3rd dog in our unit to get Heart worm in the past 2 years.

Because of the treatment he is out of work until October. Which really stinks because I was really excited to be on the street with him.

·
Registered
31,369 Posts
neither Heartgard or Sentinel work very well. Boru is the 3rd dog in our unit to get Heart worm in the past 2 years.

Because of the treatment he is out of work until October. Which really stinks because I was really excited to be on the street with him.
That sucks. What about Interceptor? Is that still working?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Boru has been doing well. We have had some nice apprehensions and have some nice drug arrests.

I just finished instructing back to back Patrol and Narcotics detection schools. My time on the street has been limited because of the training. The week I finished the last patrol school Boru tested positive for Heart worm. He has been on preventative and has never missed a month. Heart worm is becoming a big thing here and neither Heartgard or Sentinel work very well. Boru is the 3rd dog in our unit to get Heart worm in the past 2 years.

Oh no!!! Hope Boru recovers. I lost a dog to heartworms.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Boru will be fine.

Maybe you could mosquito net his outdoor run.

·
Super Moderator
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #330
That sucks. What about Interceptor? Is that still working?
I've heard interceptor is the same chemicals or active ingredient. I need to look into it and do some more research.

Boru will be fine, it is just a long tedious process. I've thought about putting netting around his kennel, but he spends a lot of time outside his kennel.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
I've heard interceptor is the same chemicals or active ingredient. I need to look into it and do some more research.

Boru will be fine, it is just a long tedious process. I've thought about putting netting around his kennel, but he spends a lot of time outside his kennel.
Sorry to hear Boru tested positive! I'm sure he'll be fine, but it sucks to go through it. I was recently considering changing from Interceptor Plus to a more economical preventative, and found this web site which lists active ingredients for most treatments out there, so I thought I'd pass it on...

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/risks-of-heartworm-drugs/

·
Registered
5,703 Posts

Heartworm scares me. I am happy to read that you are confident in his recovery and I sincerely hope you find something that works.
Just a thought, since I don't deal with HW here, I know there are mosquito sprays that are available for horses that are fantastic but I don't know that they would work for dogs. It might be worth checking.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
I hope Boru recovers quickly! I know advantix plus keeps always mosquitos. I heard they are becoming resistant to all the insecticides sprayed also. I can see now why it is always good to have the heart worm test even if preventative is given all year round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey Slam how is Boru fairing? Is he over his illness yet? If so have you hit the street with him yet?

I just finished up a 7 week drug dog course and not even a week later one of the handlers resigned to take a job with a higher paying agency. This was going to be my last class of the year beside a dual trained team I am finishing up soon. Patrol is done just doing narc now.

The agency that had the handler leave called me pleading to train a new handler on the dog ASAP! There goes my time off for the rest of the year.

She should breeze the new handler right through the course however unless the handler is slow to learn. Meet him Friday.

·
Super Moderator
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #335
Hey Deacon,
Boru is 100% and back to work. He is doing well. I am starting to condition him after his 4 month lay off. He is a little out of shape, but wants to go at 100 mph regardless.

Good luck with the new handler, I hope he is squared away and a sharp guy.

Jim

321 - 335 of 335 Posts