German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

My name is Joe and this beautiful girl below is Heidi. My wife and I just brought her home from Misty Ridge German Shepherds in Maryland and we love her already. Can't wait to get her going with the crate and obedience training. Any suggestions for good ways to start the crate training? I've been doing some reading, but I think empirical evidence from people who have done it before seems to provide the best advice. Looking forward to hearing some suggestions and meeting everyone!

Thanks,

Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Welcome Joe and Heidi! Congrats on her she is adorable. :)

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
How cute! She should not be in the crate more hours than she is months old at a time. two months - two hours and a potty break. I keep my crate covered with a blanket to create a more secure environment and when Chance was a puppy and I had to leave for work I left the classical station on the radio - he would lay right down and go to sleep. I have one downstairs for daytime when I am not home and one in the bedroom for at night. I never use the crate as punishment, but want Chance to feel safe and secure in his crate. He is now 16 months old and crated when I am not home and sometimes at night, depends on how tired he is. Crate training is a great way to start with your puppy. She will be housebroken a lot faster that way. I also leave a small bowl of ice in the crate when I am not home as well. Best wishes!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
welcome and congrats ! she is very cute:)

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Hello and Welcome, Joe and Heidi! :greet:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Welcome to you and Heidi. She sure is a cutie. We found the bedroom the best place for the crate at night. That way if she whimpers or cries you can reach down and stick your fingers through the crate to comfort her. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Welcome, oh she is a cutie pie. And I second lisgje's advice.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Those pictures are just too cute. That's a pretty pretty baby girl you have. Congrats on your new family member.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts