German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined the forum officially but I've been on here for a bit! You all have great advice about German Shepherds and dogs in general so I decided to make it official and register.
I just took in a ~3 White German Shepherd/Husky mix from a family a few hours south of me. They lived in a small apartment with no yard, didn't have much time for him. The family was trying very hard to satisfy his needs but they knew he needed a more active lifestyle and I thought I could offer that to him. At first I thought he didn't care for me that much but it turns out it just took him a while to warm up :) He is a very good boy, neutered, doesn't pull on the leash (took about a month of training), and is wonderful with all types of people. I was amazed to see that he even knows how to sit with and enjoy a handicapped stranger.
I love large breeds, and had never envisioned myself getting a GSD, let alone one with Husky in him. But just as almost 2 years working at a Humane Society teaches you, (we tell this to potential adopters all the time) it's about personality, not breed. And now I'm so happy that Altaïr is my new best friend. He is so wonderful and easy to teach! Anyway, here he is. He is about 75-80lbs and doesn't seem to want to gain weight even though he looks skinny. He loves hiking, cuddling, and playing with his Hide-A-Squirrel toys. (Amazon.com: Kyjen PP01056 Hide-A-Squirrel Pet Toy, Large: Pet Supplies)
Mostly from this forum I would like to figure out what type of food would be best for him. He is very itchy lately from seasonal allergies. I live in an area where air contaminants really stick around so when we go exploring outside he ends up itching all night. It's the white GSD fur :( So I'm just trying to figure out a good grain-free diet in a ~$40 range with lots and lots of Omega 3&6.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
He is gorgeous!!! Congrats!!! Don't have any grain free advice, but someone will jump in !!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Thanks for giving Altair a forever and loving home, it sounds like you are doing lots of fun things with your handsome boy. Someone that can comment on the food better than I will maybe give you some suggestions. Thanks for sharing him with us.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hehe he's certainly white enough to mimic my all time favourite assassin ;)

He's gorgeous! Congrats on your newest furbaby :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No worries about the food for now! He's on a mix of Pure Vita Bison Entree and Salmon Taste of the Wild, and I didn't mean to distract from the pictures topic, just wanted to mention why I joined. Thank you for the lovely comments, I am really delighted to experience how wonderful this breed is. I don't see many other White GSD's around. Because of the husky in him, he "sings" when he sees me getting ready to leave the house because he wants to come with me. Do any other GSDs howl-sing or do you think it's just mine because of the husky?
I really like his name too :) I had no idea about the reference to Assassin's Creed (video game) and so I just thought he had a great astrological name! Certain folks will mention the reference and I just laugh because I have no idea what that character is like :) I bought him a Van Gogh "Starry Night" collar to coordinate to the star name of Altaïr.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Handsome! Looking for name for my boy that will be home in a few weeks... maybe Ezio? lol

·
Registered
230 Posts
Lol, and just read your last post saying it wasn't an AC reference.

Nice beardie too, btw :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts