German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Petfinder Adoptable Dog | German Shepherd Dog | Medina, OH | Tess.

Tess is a 7 year old female Shep. that was police trained for the Chillicothe Police Dept., but did not make it into the academy. She is completely trained! Knows all commands, and is house broken, good with other animals and children! She needs to find a good home, and would like to find one before the holidays. She didn't know she would spend them without her family. Our dog adoption fee is $42. All dogs come with DHLPP & Bordetella vaccines, a current year dog license, and a certificate to be spayed or neuterd (we pay for it). IF it is an owner turn in dog, more vaccine information may be provided.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I'd be interested to know who turned the dog in. It it was a private turn in it's highly unlikely this dog is "police trained."

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I do not understand how a dog that is supposedly trained but did not make the cut ends up at a county shelter??? This smells funny, but either way poor baby needs a home.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I would think that whatever family adopted her after she couldn't pass the academy is probably the one's who turned her in. I know the military adopts out the dogs that don't pass, I would guess that LE does as well.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree, I was talking to Deb who sent this for me to post and we were saying becuse she is older if she was trained it was the family that adopted her had to have turned her in if they are telling the truth, I wonder if the dept was contacted if they would care about the dog.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Probably not, if it's true. The whole thing just sounds fishy. Police dogs don't go through the "academy." The academy is for human recruits. I'd bet the dog never had anything to do with a police dept, and they just said it in hopes she'd sound worth more when they turned her in. Perhaps thought she'd have a better chance at adoption.

She is a cute dog and certainly needs a good home, regardless of her past.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
most departments wouldnt care about the dog. She's a washout and therefore they dont consider her theirs anymore and dont generally do anything beyond finding her a home after she's booted. But i agree it is suspicious. Perfectly trained dog and suddenly she's dumped. wonder what happened?

·
Registered
333 Posts
My question, MOST police departments dont train dogs at this age. They usually retire them at or around this age... They spend LOTS of money to train a dog only to work MAYBE another year... I don't think the whole truth was being told in this situation. I would like to know what police department would be WILLING to put a dog through that type of training and spend that type of money only to retire the dog in maybe a year or two... Does not sound right to me!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts