German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Daisy, my four-month-old, ate something that gave her a parasite. My wife noticed that she was losing energy, not eating, and losing weight, so we took her to the vet, who gave her metronidazole. She is getting much better, getting energy back, etc. However, she doesn't seem to be interested in her food any longer. When I give her her medicine in the am/pm, I give her some deer sausage that I've had frozen for a couple years, which she loves. She eats it like its going out of style. But with her regular food, she just sniffs at it and moves on. She is drinking fine, but just not interested in eating. I've changed foods, same result.

So my question for ya'll is this: do medicines take away appetite in dogs just like they can in humans?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I am going through the same thing with my 4 month old. It's been rainy and then hot in ca. My pup is on panacur and metronidazole for giardia. He is also drinking water but will only eat rice with chicken. He just leaves his kibble . I'm not sure if its the medicine or the fact that his tummy is upset from the parasite and is only interested in food that is too good to pass up.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Absolutely. The same happened with metronidazole and doxycycline with mine. Scared the heck out of me, but it was the medicine.

My vet told me she took metro herself to see how it tasted. She said it did the same to her, it ws awful. No appetite.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Daisy has been on the meds since last fri, and she is getting her energy back more and more every day. She was basically laying around not eating or anything, so DW took her in. The vet said that she would have been much worse if we had waited longer.

Glad to know it's more than likely just the medicine!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How long did it take yours to get the appetite/energy/weight back? Daisy had the last dose tonight...she has very little energy.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
She isn't eating anything and doesn't have energy? That's not good.

Does she have giardia or coccidia? What exactly did the vet say she has?

ETA: IF the meds were working she would be feeling better by now. Is she drinking?

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
How long did it take yours to get the appetite/energy/weight back? Daisy had the last dose tonight...she has very little energy.
I stopped giving it after about 5-6 days b/c he wouldn't eat. I think it took a day or two for him to eat normally. The following week he started doxy and it was back to not eating.

How's your pup doing?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She isn't eating anything and doesn't have energy? That's not good.

Does she have giardia or coccidia? What exactly did the vet say she has?

ETA: IF the meds were working she would be feeling better by now. Is she drinking?
She is drinking fine, peeing fine. Pooping not much, which is to be expected since she isn't eating. For the first few days on the medicine (one weeks worth 2x daily) she would be fine with the medicine being taken with food as instructed on the bottle. The last few days she has started vomiting the food back up if taken with the medicine.

I stopped giving it after about 5-6 days b/c he wouldn't eat. I think it took a day or two for him to eat normally. The following week he started doxy and it was back to not eating.

How's your pup doing?
Fri evening she was getting some energy, so yesterday morning I gave her some liver with the medicine. Mistake. She puked it back up, and didn't have much energy at all. We went to the park for a few minutes and she walked some, but not like normal. This morning she is back with better energy, looks better in her eyes. I found a poop in the yard in the normal spot that is loose but not watery as it was before going to the vet. They said that they were fairly certain it was giardia. She's been sleeping alot, like we all do when we're sick. :)

This afternoon after getting home from church and putting the human babies to bed, I gave her some hamburger meat, and she ate some and put the rest in her crate. Its back in the fridge, we'll give it to her tonight. She has been eating some deer sausage and keeping it down fine. Loves that stuff.

Really think its the medicine that has been zapping her energy and appetite. Glad she's off of it and can get back to normal.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Is she raw fed regularly? Liver is way too rich when she hasn't been eating regularly or feeling well. You should transition her slowly back, starting out with food that will be gentle on her stomach.

Giardia can be be very stubborn to treat. I have used a holistic product called, "Kocci Free" that works very well against giardia.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is she raw fed regularly? Liver is way too rich when she hasn't been eating regularly or feeling well. You should transition her slowly back, starting out with food that will be gentle on her stomach.

Giardia can be be very stubborn to treat. I have used a holistic product called, "Kocci Free" that works very well against giardia.
I supplement her kibble with raw a couple times a week. I figured after giving her the liver that it was too much for her.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Mine eat raw but when they are sick I usually cook for them and give them something mild like cooked chicken with overcooked oatmeal and sweet potatoes and a little pumpkin.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts