German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know any medicine I can give my dog to make her not throw up in the car?
We are going to be driving 8 hours and when she's in the car for 20 minutes she throws up. I want her tummy to stay calm. Thanks.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
gingersnap cookies help

·
Super Moderator
32,585 Posts
I had to go look up your previous posts to see that this is just a puppy. She may eventually grow out of it, so I wouldn't worry too much as long as she's been checked by your vet and you know she's healthy. Halo puked in the car for weeks after we got her (maybe even months!) and it didn't matter if we were going 10 blocks or 10 miles. But she hasn't done it in a very long time. Some puppies just get carsick.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Shasta thankfully grew out of the majority of her car sickness. You can give your dog benedryl to help ease some of the symptoms. The dosage is 25mg = 1mg per pound of body weight. You can also give dramamine but i dont know the dosage for that one so you'd have to ask your vet about that one. If its REALLY bad, you would need to have your vet prescribe something. In regards to the benedryl, you can also give the walmart brand Equate which works nicely but unlike Benedryl probably wont make your dog drowsy. A drowsy dog can actually make the car sickness symptoms worse. Also another method you should try, is short 5 minute trips and gradually working up to longer. Just like when you have to leave your dog at home you dont make a big deal about it, dont make a big deal about the car. Dont be all excited. Its an every day thing, nothing new, treat it as such. If you're excited about the car ride with a dog who is anxious by it, you're only making the anxiety worse which makes them sick faster and stresses them out because they are waiting for the other shoe to drop so to speak. One thing that really helped us was i took Shelby with me whenever i took Shasta for a ride and Shelby LOVES rides. She helped Shasta realize that rides werent so bad. Shasta enjoys going and she'll climb into the car on her own now, but she's still a little nervous but hasnt been sick in weeks. We also dont allow her to eat anything 2-3 hours before we take her anywhere. and very little water. So far she's been able to drink some water and eat a treat or two and no problems. She just gets nervous sometimes. Your pup could easily grow out of it. Good luck!

I should mention you can give the benedryl to your pup. If your pup weighs in at 20lbs its close enough to the 25, you can give her a full 25mg pill. so one dose should be good enough to last the 8 hours but have some extra just in case. Allow water and keep an eye on her gums. if her gums are pale, considerably pale, pull over and let her get some fresh air. Also, keep the interior of the vehicle comfortably cool. Being too warm will only cause more stomach problems. If you can do so, crack a window for constant fresh air flow. That should help too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts