German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
High Jinks is coming along nicely in a lot of ways (and not so nicely in others-- definitely a puppy still!) and so I figured it's time to start working some agility foundations. He's madly in love with his frisbees right now, but I didn't want a Disc Dog- I wanted and agility dog! Well he will certainly have the opportunity to try out plenty of sports. :D

We are now working through Linda Mecklenburg's "Developing Jumping Skills" book, which I've had a lot of people (who own larger breed dogs) recommend to me.

Here's the first drill in the book. Value building.

I'm hoping to get through Part 1 of the book this week.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha! I didn't even notice that she dropped it there. Yes, that's her thing, like most shepherds, drop the ball at your feet and stand back and stare at it! :rofl:

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh & also, just noticed you have another pooch! I been off here way too long. Congrats!!!!
Haha!! Thanks! I've had High Jinks for just over two months now. He's just over 6 months old. I got him from a rescue in Michigan. He's a Mal x GSD- and is a blast when he's not being a little ****... ;)

I did get the book from CleanRun. You might try Amazon, or I think Linda Mecklenburg does have a store front on her website.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I never did any jump drills with Skyrah till she was of age as I fretted those growth plates being closed.
Yes, I am being careful not to jump him too high. My lowest jump cups are 12" which is only a little over half his body height. He jumps way higher things, way more often in daily life. I admit that I have experimented with a 20" high jump once though to see what it looked like (beautiful). But I keep it at 12" with an occasional 16" mixed in. It will stay mainly at 12" though.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ha! That's for sure... He almost "literally" fell in my lap. Ponyfarm (here on the forum) posted his petfinder page to my FB wall. At first I thought, "oh, how cute... not going to happen though." But the more I looked at him, the more I studied his conformation and size, I couldn't resist. I wanted a smaller-than-a-GSD type dog, more agile than a GSD, and was interested (but a bit intimidated) by Mals. A Mal x GSD was perfect, and especially one with nice conformation- look at his rear!!

I'm quite pleased with him, and grow even more pleased when I see him effortlessly jumping bar jumps like this.

He's also CRAZY into frisbees! He's up to about an 85% catch rate, regardless of thrown distance. It's actually really awesome how good he's getting and we have a TON of fun playing together with them:

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Where's the puppy gone! :eek: Wow he's looking great, you're doing a nice job with him
Growing up!! 40.2 pounds a week ago, and between 20 and 21" tall! And I just checked- wouldn't you know it- today marks 3 months that I've had him! I guess that puts him near (or at) 7 months old! Holy crap... growing up!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts