German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night at 3:30 am we heard coyotes going after something in the woods across from our house. We have heard them many times in the past but last night they were very close to our house and were extremely loud. I am sure they had their pups out hunting and were chasing something. Meb and Shay started barking and whining and DH and I got up and we all sat in front of our living room window (which was open) and listened. Meb started howling with the coyotes. This was the first time I heard him howl. It reminded me of the wolves at wolf park as I was just there a few weeks ago. DH tried to hush the dogs but I told him to let them be vocal. I thought that was pretty cool as I am reading Cesar Millans book right now "Cesar's Way" and he talks about how animals pick up on other animals & humans energy and about how dogs need to be with nature and explore their surroundings.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
that is cool
and scary!!

Coyotes are scary had an episode with them last year
Lets just say haven't seen any since

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Very cool!

For the first time we've lived in this house, I heard coyotes howling and yipping the other night. Hunter, who usually barks at EVERYTHING, didn't bark at all. He did jump off the bed and went to the window. I found that to be interesting.

Lu

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Roxie starts our little pack here too- Timer (I think ) is starting to lose his hearing- Guinness would rather be under the bed or cuddled up near me......It's one reason I never let just one dog out at a time here....we're loaded up with Coyote...
Not that I have ever had any negative issures with them...I just take a bit of extra care re: garbage, food stuff etc.....

AAAHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWOOOOOOWOOOO!!!

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
I taught my shepherd to howl.

The look on his face the first time he did it, was priceless. He looked so surprised about the sound of his own howl.

He never howls on his own though, only when I start first.

·
Registered
27,244 Posts
In another neighborhood, a little JRT got taken by a coyote the other morning, the owner watched it get carried away before he could do anything, it was limp and coyote had it by the neck:( followed it and couldn't find anything after they hit the woods. We hear them yipping around here, but not routinely. We have chickens and the coop is near the back of the property, the coyotes are probably scenting them. I love to hear them, though our dogs let us know asap when they are around...everything is fenced in, hopefully that will keep them out

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
I live in suburban neighborhood of about 220 homes.NO ONE believed me when i said there were many yotes around.They are shy -blend in with background and are only mostly around just before dawn(when people jut waking up and getting ready for work)and at dusk (dinner time).They are NOT really vocal-BUT believe me at least in CT they ARE there if you take the time to look.Do not feed ignore and keep your dogs from from rea cting also keep cats in at night and we CAN share suburban spaces

·
Registered
12 Posts
4 foot fences won't keep coyotes out. I saw one jump ours in Livonia like it was nothing. The other day a woman was walking her lab in Hines Park when it was attacked by 3 coyotes. She fought them off long enough to get back to her car and said they stalked her all the way to her car. The coyote is becoming a problem in Michigan and it will probably will result in a human attack such as have been occuring in California. Young kids 2-5 yrs old have been bitten when the Coyotes have tried to drag them into the woods. Keep an eye open.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
true story. saturday afternoon, i took the three dogs for their daily hike through a 50 acre chunk of woods. it is about a 1.5 mi. loop on an old logging trail with a small valley in the middle. my young gsd and senior mutt stay within site of me. my rescue mutt really flies all over the place, but always catches up to us at one point. about 2/3 around the loop, i see Sable sprinting toward us from about 100 yards away coming from the interior of the loop. she is usually trotting when she catches up, so it seemed a bit strange. just as she approaches us on the trail, there they are...two coyotes galloping behind her. they stopped dead in their tracks, but only about 15 yards away from me. they just stared at me, looking very surprised. i wasnt scared, just fascinated at the whole scene. they didnt move for what seemed like too long (in reality probably just a few seconds) so i put my hands in the air, ran toward them and started yelling at them. they took off back down toward the valley. of course. sable and kimba (gsd) decided to turn the tables and chase after them. i let them chase for about 50 yards then made them return to me.

the coyotes are very vocal at night around here, and i have seen a single coyote here and there during the daylight, usually loping along. i was surprised to see 2 of them chasing my dog in the middle of the day. im not sure if they were chasing her away or actually intending harm. she may have come upon a den? at any rate, i still let her zig zag through the woods with my gsd, but only within site of me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Be very careful when you walk your animals thru coyote areas. If they were chasing your dog it was because they considered it prey. They're also starting to lose their feasr of humans so you may want to start taking a walking stick with you. I guess people have been feeding them so it makes them less afraid of humans. One coyote expert says that coyotes consider dogs and cats like candy, very desirable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts