German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to have a little fun, and do a taste test.
Kira has NEVER in her life, had a desire for dry kibble.

I decided to see if there was just ONE food that just may get her taste bud's attention.

I used 6 different foods in small bowls and let her loose.
Each bowl had nothing but kibble and some warm water.

The foods were:

Wellness Core
Blue Wilderness Chicken
Merrick chicken and sweet potato
Fromm Gold
Natural Balance duck formula
Orijen Red

Kira literally sniffed each bowl, then aggressively ate the bowl of Blue Wilderness.
She turned her nose at all the others.

Is wilderness known to be for fussy dogs?

She licked it dry, then came sniffing for more.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i don't consider a dog picky or fussy because they don't
like a certain food. i'm always switching my dogs kibble
and he eats whatever brand it is with vigor. i top my
dog's kibble with a variety of things including can food
which i have different brands and flavors on hand. sometimes
i feed my dog his kibble with nothing on it except for some room
temperature filtered water. my GF thinks it's a good idea to feed
his kibble plane sometimes just in case there's nothing to top it
with. i've used every brand you used in your test plus other brands.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I always wonder if the ingredients actually make the food taste different or if it 's a matter of added flavors/smells.

When I was a kid I ate Eukanuba kibble once. It tasted like stale biscuits and I threw up immediately. Surely dogs can't be that different from us in their tastes if they also enjoy juicy steaks and peanut butter?

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always wonder if the ingredients actually make the food taste different or if it 's a matter of added flavors/smells.

When I was a kid I ate Eukanuba kibble once. It tasted like stale biscuits and I threw up immediately. Surely dogs can't be that different from us in their tastes if they also enjoy juicy steaks and peanut butter?

Exactly my point. I've made a couple attempts to get into a raw diet, but was a bit intimidated by the process, and proper handling. I decided to put that to rest.
She's been on Fromm Gold for about a year, but won't touch it without a meat topping.
I would occasionally use a home cooked stew or some of the ideas that Doggiedad, and others have suggested in the past, with good results. She's at a point where she eats every night.

However, I have yet to find that ONE kibble that she might actually eat in a pinch.
Apparently, there's something about the Blue Wilderness that got her attention. Granted, it was only about a 1/4 cup, but I found it interesting that she literally turned her nose at the other foods, without even a small sampling.
When I waved the Blue under her nose, there was no disputing her desire for the Blue Wilderness.

Soooo now the question.... Since she actually liked it, Do I switch her over to Blue Wilderness?
Fromm is an excellent food, and never a single issue with stools. Her coat looks good too. But she obviously eats it only because I enhance it.

If I can get her to eat the Blue, mixed with nothing but warm water, do you think I should make that switch? It would make my life much easier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts