German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think of her? I personally think she is rather annoying and I don't see her training methods "sticking" I also saw an episode where she had the family stop cooking chicken meals and put them on a cheap kibble, and another where she blamed the dogs stool eating because he was on a good high quality high protein kibble, and put him on a low protein high fiber kibble.

Also it seems every show is redundant, the same situation as the last. Dog takes over owners bed, barks to much and is bad on leash, rinse repeat.

·
Registered
16,424 Posts
The few times I watched it I thought she was a bit of an odd bird. Seemed to be more about the couple than the dog - which is often the case ... but made for a bit of a 'reality show' feel.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I get tired of seeing uninformed / ignorant dog owners. I know no one is perfect...but I have about 100 other ways I'd rather spend my free time.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Overall I like her & her training approach a lot, <u>much</u> better than some other dog training shows on TV. I can certainly see improvements/ changes in the behavior. I don't agree with everything- like you mentioned the diet change from high quality to bad (what was she thinking?).

In one of the poop eating episodes, I didn't get why there was a need to put flags next to the poop- didn't make a lot of sense to me. IMO the dogs will just avoid the flags, but still continue eating the poo once the flags are gone later on.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also saw her on another show, forgot the name...but it was kind a reality show about different trainers training their dog to complete different obstacles. She was a judge for one of them, and although one guys dogs was head and shoulders above the rest, minded perfectly, and finished the trial with such ease and grace it made my jaw dropped...she chewed him out and failed him because while training previously he had used a shock collar. While the others who used only positive reinforcement (not saying it doesn't work, but didn't for them) their dogs just wandered around aimlessly, hopelessly confused and lost.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally Posted By: Murphy-ElperroguapoI don't think she's a canine nutritionist.
But I like her training methods. I find her show much easier to watch than "The Dog Whisperer."
But you see I don't buy that excuse, neither am I, or most everyone else on this board and we know better...and we aren't "world renowned" dog people.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think she's HOT, but so did the Mastiff that was humping her every chance he got! I don't know were they find all these idiots to be on the show but then again it's no different than most of the other crap that's on TV.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
The show drives me nuts, she's kind of annoying. But I think she does have some good training tips. I personally like the Dog Whisperer better. I agree on the dog owners, they just drive me insane.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have no problem with those who want to use positively only training methods. However, she is SO nasty and judgmental to anyone who uses anything even remotely not pure-positive that I can't stand her when she's that way. Such as the big argument with the other female judge on America's Greatest Dog. She got after the pointer mix owner so much for holding up his pointer finger at his dog to stay that it was ridiculous. I still watch it though.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Eh I get a good chuckle out of her. I do notice her methods don't tend to stay. She's a bit cross with the owners and tends to treat them like misbehaving children.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Originally Posted By: wolfish_oneEh I get a good chuckle out of her. I do notice her methods don't tend to stay. She's a bit cross with the owners and tends to treat them like misbehaving children.
I love her! I like that she really has a plan (for the owners) and shows them what she expects and why. As well as that she comes back for follow up with more hints and suggestions for problems, as well as pats on the back for things that are going well.

The fact she gets cross with the owner is spot on for me! Cause most of the time, it's things they are doing (or not doing) that have set up the dogs for the subsequent problems that crop up. She doesn't sugar coat stuff either with a quick fix type solution. If the problems are real, then the family has to take it seriously with real changes, or else.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally Posted By: wolfish_oneEh I get a good chuckle out of her. I do notice her methods don't tend to stay. She's a bit cross with the owners and tends to treat them like misbehaving children.
To her credit most of the owners are little more than that. it still annoys me though. I have taken the show off my DVR schedule and stopped watching it...didn't get anything helpful out of it.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Originally Posted By: MaggieRoseLee
I love her! I like that she really has a plan (for the owners) and shows them what she expects and why. As well as that she comes back for follow up with more hints and suggestions for problems, as well as pats on the back for things that are going well.

The fact she gets cross with the owner is spot on for me! Cause most of the time, it's things they are doing (or not doing) that have set up the dogs for the subsequent problems that crop up. She doesn't sugar coat stuff either with a quick fix type solution. If the problems are real, then the family has to take it seriously with real changes, or else.
ha- that's what I like about the show, too.

I watch it if its on when I'm looking for something to watch.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The hole "Victoria" to the rescue super hero thing they do at the beginning is so corny it ruins it for me. Showing her driving her convertible, and then later posing in her all black leather outfit, with a riding crop in hand. ...oh come on, I don't know if it's just that stupid looking or if she just isn't hot enough to pull it off lol.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I like her... mostly.
Some stuff she says or does I don't agree with (like according to her crating for more than 3 hours is abuse), but at least when people try to copy her, they are less likely to get injured or mess a dog up. That's why I think she is better as a TV trainer than Cesar.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Originally Posted By: AxxelThe hole "Victoria" to the rescue super hero thing they do at the beginning is so corny it ruins it for me. Showing her driving her convertible, and then later posing in her all black leather outfit, with a riding crop in hand. ...oh come on, I don't know if it's just that stupid looking or if she just isn't hot enough to pull it off lol.
I agree that's hokey too..
but fact of the matter is, that's what makes good entertaining tv for many people. And, for me, if that's what it takes to get some people to watch, and then learn, then it's ok with me!!

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
Cesar drives in in a sporty car at the beginning of his show too.

I love her no-nonsense attitude. Face it, some of these people have no idea how to properly train dogs. And they need that blunt, to the point, talk about what they should be doing. Is she a little nuts? Maybe. . .but I've found most dog trainers are.

I don't think her issue (generally) with homecooking is against homecooking. More against the fact that the humans spend more time cooking for the dog than themselves. They just need a priority change, that's all. And by my comment about her not being a canine nutritionist, I just meant that I ignore that portion of her show and enjoy her for what she is--a dog trainer.

Honestly, I've learned a lot from her about dealing with my reactive dog. Many of the dogs she works with remind me a lot of mine and seeing other people working through similar problems gives me hope (and a plan of attack).

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
One Con and One Pro...

Con: She uses the SAME training methods for ALL dogs. We all know not all dogs are the same. What works for one...is awful for another.

Pro: She at least tries to teach owners about spaying and neutering their pets. The owners say, "he/she is so cute! I just think they'd make great puppies!" She shows them....I don't think so.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally Posted By: Murphy-ElperroguapoCesar drives in in a sporty car at the beginning of his show too.
I don't like him either lol, maybe I'm the one who's to judgmental, but they both put me on edge hah.

Oh, and I drive a sporty car myself...well it has been retired to occasional outings now...it was just the over all image they try to portray that makes me laugh.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts