German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! It's been busy here, and I have still been sick. I am back to work, so between work and training my girl, I am pretty wore out. I had my follow-up with the urologist, but it did not go well. I am now in my 4th month of antibiotics. My kidney is still painful and is not emptying correctly, hopefully because it is still swollen. I am currently being evaluated to see if I am going into kidney failure.

Yesterday, turtle (the 18 year old cat) crossed the bridge. I had to have the vet help her along, though. She went very peacefully in my arms. I am without a cat for the first time in 25 years. But, we are ok. Turtle was ready to go and I was ready to let her go. She had been suffering from dementia for the past little while and was getting pretty confused and fearful, so I am glad that she is no longer frightened! She spent 18 years being a good kitty, so I was happy to give her a peaceful journey over the bridge.

Genali, the "puppy" is huge. I don't have an exact weight on her, but she is about 40 pounds already (4 months old). She is getting tall, too. When she stands on her hind legs, she can lick my chin! She is chewing EVERYTHING. I have had to throw out most of her toys, and am having to be VERY picky about what I purchase. I bought her a King Wubba last week and it lasted all of 10 minutes. Her favorite thing to chew are shoes.......but only the ones that I am WEARING at the time. sigh......

Training is going wonderful. She has gotten very focused on me, so focused that I was concerned that we were heading towards separation anxiety, but she seems to do fine when I am not home. She will check out the window pretty frequently and sniff the door a lot from what I am told, but does not seem anxious.

She cracks me up. She will DEMAND training when I come home from work, and will come up to me and bark. If I don't immediately start into training mode with her, she will begin going through the list of motions, doing her spins, sits, lays, etc and expecting a treat! But, I am a mean, cruel mama. Much to her dismay, she gets petted and loved on, but training has to wait until I have time to wash the jail smell off and eat a bite of supper. She will lay and literally quiver until I am ready to start! I love it!

I need to upload some new pics. She is huge!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Sorry you are still feeling poorly and hope your health improves soon. You continue to be that mean momma and nix that over excited behavior. Fun routines can turn into bad habit quickly. My husband created a similar one you described. When our girl was young he started taking her out on the front lawn to play fetch with a ball or frisbee as soon as he got home from work. It became a routine in the summer months. When cold nasty weather of winter came it became a pain having her jump, paw, whine, bark and generally become a royal PITA every night at 5 pm (he would give in). Same on the weekends. Hubby is mister play fun guy. We can set our watch by her weekend morning behavior. 9:30 am is play time don't be late or you will be annoyed to insanity by the 4 legged furry monster that lives within. She is 5+ now and it continues to this day. Now I'm mean momma and she does none of that when daddy is at work or away on a work trip. Husband was home sick yesterday. She didn't care or understand he was sick...he was home so the "daddy" schedule most be kept :(
I so wish he never created that monster in her. Sick husband + annoying dog was no bueno for me...I left lol!

On a lighter note it's wonderful to hear Genali loves her training and finds it fun.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I'm sorry about your kitty. It sounds like she had a great life though.

I have kidney disease, so I can relate, and I really hope it isn't long-term and you guys can get this under control. Sending good thoughts to you.

We would love to see some updated pictures. Genali sounds like a great dog. I'm glad you are still able to enjoy her even though you don't feel so well. Having my pets around when I feel sick is one of the few things that makes me feel better. Good job with her!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts