German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am asking about this mostly for a friend, and I would like to know also!!!!

His dog is coming up on two years old, was sent here a year ago with prelims already from Czech or Germany ( cannot remember). Wants to get the hips certified, but unsure of how it works, and with Cullen going to eventaully be that old, would like to know also!

What are the options? I know there is OFA and Penn... but what about to get them done in Germany for a dog that is registered from there? Or even one from here? I am dumb to this, and the one specific person I thought to ask here ( Robin Huerta) I cannot seem to get in contact with! Thanks everyone

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Not all vet's do PennHip, but once you find one here, anyone can just have that vet do both sets of x-rays at the same sitting and get them sent in to be evaluated.

No matter where your dog comes from.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK... So how do I find out where to send the Xrays?

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
OFA and PennHip are easy to do here in the US. The vets that do them will either send them in for you, or give you the films and a form to send in yourself.

Getting them done through the SV in Germany is more difficult but doable. The reason most people in the USA go through the SV is because they will grade and certify the hips at 1 year old. When you are working your dog very hard, injuries do happen and there's nothing more devastating than putting in 2 years on a breeding dog only to find out they won't certify because of some injury. The SV also only does GSDs.

To certify through the SV you have to go through an organization. I know UScA has a hip program and I believe WDA does too. This is generally more expensive to do than OFA, and Germany only accepts film Xrays, not digital.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I will look into those.. thanks! Cullen isn't even a year old, but Randy's SCH import is almost two, and he wants to go through all of them, mostly the SV, and I promised I would help.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
OK, I will look into those.. thanks! Cullen isn't even a year old, but Randy's SCH import is almost two, and he wants to go through all of them, mostly the SV, and I promised I would help.
if you want to do Penn Hip (which i personally think is much more reliable than OFA):

PennHip Vets in the USA:

Locate a PennHIP Member in the United States

or in the rest of the world (bottom link is the one in Germany)

Locate a PennHIP Member worldwide

Tierklinik Walluf

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.