German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Monday, our house was broken in, and a lifetime of jewelry assets and a collection of high end watches; as well as my fiancé's 2 week old weeding ring, were stolen. As fate will have it, Red, our 16 month old pup, was locked up in a sturdy crate, our home alarm was not on during the day; and my future wife was in a hurry, and did not put on her rings that morning. I have lived in this very safe neighborhood (voted 1 of the top five to live in the country), for the last 28 years, and never had anything stolen, or a near by home being broken in. All the proper police reports have been made, and a description of all the assets lost, have been provided to the authorities; and yes, we will still go on with next Saturday weeding celebration.
Before folks blame our oversights and complacency of not having the alarm on etc, etc.; we absolutely take responsibility for all those mistakes, that created the perfect burglary conditions.
It is not our intent for people to feel sorry for us, we are blessed!, no one was injured, and Red continues to be his usual self. The reason I decided to post what happened to us, is that, perhaps there are forum members that live out in the country, or in neighborhoods in which burglaries never happen; and maybe, this can help another fellow GSD owner not to assume that because the dog is in the house, no one can dare come inside.
Apologies in advance, for posting a topic that is out of the dedicated pertinent post of this great GSD forum.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Wow. So sorry to hear this, what crappy timing. I'm glad you are carrying on with your wedding.

I am always startled that thieves will risk a dog encounter however, I did alarm response for a while and I know that it is common for them to "test" so they would know your boy was secured. Thank heavens they didn't harm or steal him.
Sabi seldom woke up when people entered my house while I was gone. It was pretty common for my staff to stop by and let her out or pick her up for me. Basically if I was in the house you couldn't set foot on the property and if I wasn't she would just show you where the treats were. :grin2:

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I'm sorry this happened to you and glad that your dog wasn't harmed. Some people train their dogs in personal protection and I don't see much of a need for it except maybe in a circumstance where it buys you a little time to get your gun or something for a weapon. Someone really intent on coming in will simply shoot a dog. The other thing is that the majority of GDSs will not bite and fight a person for real. Even too many working line dogs will not fight a person. A barking dog will usually deter most thieves.

·
Super Moderator
5,181 Posts
thanks for the reminder to always secure the house. Glad your wedding plans are not stopped and that your pup is healthy and safe

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
What a miserable experience but I'm glad that it was only items and that your boy is alright. Our neighborhood is pretty safe but sometimes has a quick rash of breakins every few yrs it seems. Lately the town calls for assistance with K9 teams which have been successful a few times tracking the suspect down.

Perhaps the items might be recovered so keep up with any apprehensions of stolen goods in surrounding towns you might luck out.

I wasn't always consistent about locking doors but those days have passed.

I'm glad you aren't letting this ruin your wedding day.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
The best news is that your dog wasn’t harmed. I’m so sorry to hear about your losses. Maybe the police will recover the items.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
On a material note...if you have homeowners insurance or even renters insurance, you probably have some coverage of your possessions in your policy?

On a personal note...glad that everybody is safe, and congratulations on your Big Day!

On a canine note...I love photo of Red looking out over the water :)

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
. A lot of people let everyone know when they go away on Facebook I felt was never wise. So glad to hear everyone is safe and no one harmed. Break ins can be very upsetting and not your fault at all. I Hope the person or persons are caught.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I am so sorry to hear of this, how truly awful. Thank goodness they didn’t harm Red, that would be a true travesty. I’m sure whoever did it wasn’t an amateur and knew that he was contained before they decided to enter. My dogs on the other hand are not, and they are impossible to miss in the bay window.

·
Super Moderator
5,181 Posts
. A lot of people let everyone know when they go away on Facebook I felt was never wise. So glad to hear everyone is safe and no one harmed. Break ins can be very upsetting and not your fault at all. I Hope the person or persons are caught.
Totally agree about social media posts. As much as I may want to blast my friends with "Guess where I'm going?" it is better to share after the fact, "Guess where I've been!".
Not to say that this is what happened this time.

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
Totally agree about social media posts. As much as I may want to blast my friends with "Guess where I'm going?" it is better to share after the fact, "Guess where I've been!".
Not to say that this is what happened this time.
Yeah this Break in was not a response to a social media post. I did want to mention though what I see on social media and what I have heard that happens for anyone reading this.

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
My friends dog growing up stopped a break in -the family was home someone was trying to climb through a window and my friend gsd lab mix stopped the guy mid way in and woke the house up and the family saw the guy get away not was a struggle as the dog attacked the man through the window. That dog saved us as kids quite a few times as we grew up in the 80’s wild , free and luck.

I make sure if my dogs can be trusted to be loose in the house so they sure are to be known. One time we were out and it was a time Max was about 6 months old and still crated and left in the kitchen within view of the back sliding glass door. We got a call saying the alarm went off from the alarm company. When we arrived home we saw that Max had gotten himself out of the crate. My daughter left her labtop on the kitchen table in view. Whether this all was a coincidence or not and the wind blew the nudged the slider open a tiny bit even on a beautiful spring day but still stayed locked that seemed to set the alarm off or not we will not never know. I am sure to make sure ipads, phone etc are not in clear view and left out to see if someone was looking in.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
This is why I crate my dogs when I am not home, and I am glad your boy was crated and is OK.

If someone wants to break in and take stuff while I am not home- go for it, it is insured, please leave my dog out of it. Also if there is a fire while they are home alone in the interest of the safety of my dogs AND the first responders they are clearly crated near the front door and can be quickly dragged out to safety without any one getting bit or dying in a fire because they were kind enough to try and chase and rescue a loose frightened dog.

When I am home, my dogs are out and at night are on duty. As Chip mentioned I need to know someone is trying to get in to buy me time. I know my dog will engage on the front end, but like with any dog who knows how long they will fight for unless you have tested it and I don't believe in testing it to that particular stressing limit unless they are going to be an official employed PPD, military or LEO.

A good GSD usually will bite some. Arms, legs. For how long and how far before they retreat? You don't know until you know. Maybe right away maybe never. I had a GSD that was "too friendly" open up the Stanley Steemer guy because he came into my bedroom/office without knocking, knocked my toddler with the door and tried to grab his little arm to keep him from falling. My GSD gave him about 18 stitches that were fang tears and lots of punctures that were too deep to suture. And he was only getting started, I called him off quickly. When I tell you this dog was a clown usually...I mean to the point I was disappointed in him as a protector. Guess I was wrong. About a year after that something happened to him neurologically and he had to be put down. It was unrelated to this though. This was actually decent judgement on his part, judgement I did not think he even had. You just never know which tough dog will turn tail before even engaging in a real situation and which will instinctively go for a bicep. Don't ever want to find out with current or future dogs :)

Any way OP- glad your dog was safe. Sorry about the possessions. Have a great wedding anyway don't let them take that away from you! One day it will be a story you tell and look back on with family and friends.

·
Registered
141 Posts
This is why I crate my dogs when I am not home, and I am glad your boy was crated and is OK.

If someone wants to break in and take stuff while I am not home- go for it, it is insured, please leave my dog out of it. Also if there is a fire while they are home alone in the interest of the safety of my dogs AND the first responders they are clearly crated near the front door and can be quickly dragged out to safety without any one getting bit or dying in a fire because they were kind enough to try and chase and rescue a loose frightened dog.

When I am home, my dogs are out and at night are on duty. As Chip mentioned I need to know someone is trying to get in to buy me time. I know my dog will engage on the front end, but like with any dog who knows how long they will fight for unless you have tested it and I don't believe in testing it to that particular stressing limit unless they are going to be an official employed PPD, military or LEO.

A good GSD usually will bite some. Arms, legs. For how long and how far before they retreat? You don't know until you know. Maybe right away maybe never. I had a GSD that was "too friendly" open up the Stanley Steemer guy because he came into my bedroom/office without knocking, knocked my toddler with the door and tried to grab his little arm to keep him from falling. My GSD gave him about 18 stitches that were fang tears and lots of punctures that were too deep to suture. And he was only getting started, I called him off quickly. When I tell you this dog was a clown usually...I mean to the point I was disappointed in him as a protector. Guess I was wrong. About a year after that something happened to him neurologically and he had to be put down. It was unrelated to this though. This was actually decent judgement on his part, judgement I did not think he even had. You just never know which tough dog will turn tail before even engaging in a real situation and which will instinctively go for a bicep. Don't ever want to find out with current or future dogs :)

Any way OP- glad your dog was safe. Sorry about the possessions. Have a great wedding anyway don't let them take that away from you! One day it will be a story you tell and look back on with family and friends.
I have never crated any of my dogs and I wonder how dogs and humans got along so well for so many thousands of years until the idea came along.

I leave mine loose in the house all the time. None of them have ever shown any desire to sit anywhere but right next to me. Crates do nothing for them. They regard them as punishment because they can't be near me.

As for break-ins, we had two attempts. Both were when my wife was home alone. In one of them, my wife heard the back door open, the sounds of an angry beast, and a door slam. She went out to see a guy running away as fast as he could manage.

In the second example, my wife didn't see the guy, but she heard the commotion and he left a trail of blood. Apparently, he ran faster than the other guy.

There used to be a TV show where former burglars showed how easy it was to get past most dogs. Wouldn't happen at my house. If my dog had been in a crate, he would have destroyed the crate to get to the intruder.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts