German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all I need some advice our 18wk fem Gsd is beginning to show her true colors. We have tried everything out there to potty trained and nothing seems to work with her she still peeing in her crate and pooping she has actually begins to whine in the morning after she has done the deed instead of whining before she has to go. we have to bath her constantly because it take one day to get back to the constant peeing water is removed food has been limited I mean we have tried everything. Also walking her is a nightmare all she does is pull and scream bloody murder wanting back inside because she wants food and water we have used all choke chain now gentle leader and she hates them. When we go to feed her she screams bloody murder same for water we both are at our wits end with her....she is constantly whining over every little thing I don't know what else to do. Thank you in advance......

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
338 Posts
18 weeks

Well, I am not the master trainer and will not attempt to tell you what you should do as there are others here that are much more capable than I. I will say that her behavior at 18 weeks old is not absolutely indicative of how she will behave as an adult. Patience. Be calm with her and keep working at it. She may seem like an impossible task now, but with time and calm patience you will be fine.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I am not an expect but I have two puppies - my girl just turned one and my boy is 7 months.
One question I have is - how big is your crate? Make sure she can only lay own...it seems cruel but it works..I had one that came with a divider...
It's a ton of work but when you feel it will never end then Yeah it's finally over.
I started taking them out every 15 minutes and stayed outside until he or she did their business. I would go nuts with praise and when they came in they got a treat with more praise.

When my pups come in they run over and sit at the counter that has their cookie jar on it

It's very hard not to get mad but remember she is only a tiny Baby who need to learn everything.
This will pass and you will have the best puppy ever !!

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Has she been checked by a vet? I had a gsd puppy who wouldn't housebreak and peed her crate, and she ended up having a neurological disorder.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She def...has no issues she will go days of good behavior and days of I feel like testing you is aggravating especially when I am ready to say yey you are normal and puff it goes to ****. Her crate has the divider if I eliminate the peering pad she pees and licks the pee up so I don't know if to let her lick the pee or continue to put the pad

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
So your pup has a crate large enough for a "potty area," and has a puppy pad there, and uses the puppy pad?
If so, I am not sure the problem.
While some people advocate for a very small crate, I tend to think the larger with a puppy pad works very, very well. Puppies are puppies. Babies. Would you expect a toddler to be fully toilet trained? I even keep newspaper/puppy pad by the door for a few months so that if I miss the "gotta go now" look from my puppy, she still has a place to go.
While some pups housetrain easy and early, some do not.

Clarity, consistency and patience are the key here.

I have also found withholding food and water can make the situation worse. You may end up with a puppy gorging on water, and/or developing urinary tract infections.

As to the walking.... walking should be fun. Why not a simple, buckle collar and 6 foot leash? Don't try to leash train while you are out to potty. You need to make the leash walking fun.
A very good way to do this is by having a bowl full of tiny little treats. Hotdogs cut into dime size pieces works well.
Get the leash out, give pup a treat. Clip leash on, give pup treat.
Allow pup to follow your treat holding hand, give treat. You should not be holding the leash for this, just let it drag.
This should be an easy exercise you can do in the house. Graduate to holding the leash and walking while enticing pup to follow.

Stay happy, gentle and calm:).

·
Registered
87 Posts
First, gagsd has good advice. Exercise is essential to healthy development, play will strengthen your relationship, and anticipating her routine are all good ways to address the issue.

Where did you get your GSD? This is not a natural behavior for a dog. This type of behavior is often seen as a result of keeping a dog/pup crated for days at a time, or not allowing a pup to get accustomed to eliminating outside (I am not pointing the finger at you, btw, just wondering the dogs puppy background).

I would start using an outside kennel area, at least temporarily (and to keep my own sanity). I would want to get the dog comfortable going on grass. Dogs will tend to prefer a specific surface on which to eliminate. IMO, the longer a dog rehearses a behavior, the more ingrained the behavior becomes. Of course, using an outside kennel will require a significant time/money investment...

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

My pup started poop and peeing in the crate also. I have a large plastic crate. I went and bought some plastic storage tubs and filled that crate up to the point where he only had enough room to turn and scarcely enough ro lay down. This along with potty intervals, he stopped going in the crate.

Also, if she is peeing on a pad, get rid of the pad. Make sure you use a good cleaner to eliminate the urin smell or she'll continue peeing in that spot. I put half of an old bath towel in the crate. Thats it.

Good luck and dont give up on her.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts