1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ohh she’s going to be fun with a mix like that! I love her little dotted legs

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes ❤ but i wouldnt change it for the world lol. Shes super smart and already attached at the hip 🤣 she goes everywhere with me. Tomorrow we have a trip to the pet store and then off to the dog park.
I'm blessed to live in a state where my babies can go with me everywhere as well (short of most food establishments). My babies are the best for my PTSD..... that and some leaf :ROFLMAO:. She's BEAutiful!

·
Registered
797 Posts
IMy babies are the best for my PTSD.
Yep my dog was the best possible thing for my PTSD (They tell me we are supposed to call it PTS now.) I really struggled with hyper-vigilance. After a few months with my dog, I settled down by accepting that he was much more aware of our surroundings than I could ever be. An ear might flick and he would twitch a leg, then go back to sleep because it was nothing. A few seconds later I would hear a car drive by.

If he didn't recognize the sound he might fit his head to let me know something was about to happen.

Every once in a while, he would leap up and start barking like the world was about to end. This was usually because some deer had wandered into the yard undetected. If you have ever watched a deer, they are seriously stealthy. If Ole could hear a deer move outside, I figured I could depend on him to let me know if something important was about to happen.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yep my dog was the best possible thing for my PTSD (They tell me we are supposed to call it PTS now.) I really struggled with hyper-vigilance. After a few months with my dog, I settled down by accepting that he was much more aware of our surroundings than I could ever be. An ear might flick and he would twitch a leg, then go back to sleep because it was nothing. A few seconds later I would hear a car drive by.

If he didn't recognize the sound he might fit his head to let me know something was about to happen.

Every once in a while, he would leap up and start barking like the world was about to end. This was usually because some deer had wandered into the yard undetected. If you have ever watched a deer, they are seriously stealthy. If Ole could hear a deer move outside, I figured I could depend on him to let me know if something important was about to happen.
Yup..... I can relate. Before I brought our first fur baby home, I was driving my wife nuts with my constant attention to my environment. This spurred a bad case of OCD out of me. I had to be squared away 24/7. It was so bad that I would walk thru the kitchen and ensure that my wife's china was laying either perfectly parallel and/or vertical with other pieces not excluding the edges of the kitchen table. My wife thought I was going mental. The overpaid hand holder at the VA told me that I was trying to feel safe in my environment by controlling every aspect of it. The mental energy I was expelling doing this was tearing me down. Little to no sleep, daily headaches bordering migraines, disconnection from my wife due to where my focus was, and on and on. Yeah, they had a bunch of meds they wanted to try, but my wife and I agreed to try adoption first. Its the best decision we made that year. Sure, I've had dogs in my life all the way back to the 70s when i was just a little squirt. But the universe has blessed me today. I've loved all my companions thru the years, but my overall experience today with our fur babies has rewarded me with a new lease on life. I sleep eight hours now, headaches are gone, I mess my wife's china place setting up on purpose to joke with her and everywhere I go, we go as a family. Yes sir, I can relate. Thank you for chatting with me!

·
Registered
797 Posts
That is great.

For me, one of the other benefits of a dog has been getting out and hiking. I am old, turned 50, and broken down. Every morning when I wake up something hurts. I could never motivate myself to exercise for the purpose of staying healthy. What's the point, I'll feel just as bad tomorrow as I do today. My physical health really went downhill fast.

Like it or not, my loyal companion needed to go out several times per day. I got in the habit of walking him instead of just letting him out. That would get me out for a few minutes several times per day. Over time, we have established a morning hike. Every morning, we try to get out for an hour or so and hike the local hills.

Now, sometimes on those hikes, all the anger and rage comes flooding back like an overwhelming wave. I just let it come. Because pretty soon Ole will come running back excitedly from whatever he went to go see... and the world will be fine again. This didn't happen overnight. But, it did happen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts