German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Friends:

As some of you may know, my beloved Somali (a cat breed for any who are confused) Alistair Flash was killed on September 22nd. I have had a feline-shaped hole in my broken heart, and even though I'm OBVIOUSLY a dog-lover, I missed having a kitty cat. So, after careful research and soul-searching, I decided the next cat I got would have to fill the following criteria:

Big (I'm a big-dog person, and I'm a big-cat person, too)
Fluffy (because, well, duh, look at my dog)
Friendly
Laid-back (aka, not trying to get outside every.waking.second)
Good with other pets

It was a tough order to fill, but then a miracle happened, and I found the lovely RAGDOLL breed. I read everything I could about them, and looked at many Youtube videos; incidentally, a LOT of them seem to live in GSD houses, which confirmed my belief that GSD-owners are the smartest people on the planet.

So I selected a Seal Colorpoint male kitten who is coming to his new home on Sunday!

I predict many sleepless nights, and some transition with his new big sister, but let's all give a warm welcome to Mr. Hamilton* Needham :)

I'll keep you all posted on how Athena reacts to her new little brother. :laugh:

Cat

*Note: The breeder already named him Charlie, so the files may have that name still.

Attachments

·
Registered
32,699 Posts
Gorgeous! My Himalayan likes to lay in wait for a dog to walk by to attack. It's funny to see a 10# cat hanging on the back of a 65# dog, while the dog looks at me in disgust. I have no sympathy for him when Jax steps on his head in retaliation.

·
Registered
910 Posts
That kitten is adorable.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I have a blue point mitted ragdoll. He plays fetch better then my dog, in that he returns the ball directly to my hand. Very low scratches as well, and they do not matt. I'd get another one.

Only problem with my Link is he is scared of the dog. He lives upstairs in the bedrooms and the dog in on the main level.

Yours is a real cutie and I love his name.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hamilton is a cutie! Once I convince myself to get a cat, I want a ragdoll. I have a friend w one, but she won't give him to me :D

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
What a cutie!! How is it going with him and Athena?

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Cool!!!

I just finished the book and gave it 5 stars on Amazon! I just loved it.

I was sitting in the waiting room at a doctor's office when I came to the afterward. It was so hard not to openly cry about Kashki. :( He sounded like a wonderful cat.

Reading your post, it seems September is a hard month for you. (hugs)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool!!!

I just finished the book and gave it 5 stars on Amazon! I just loved it.

I was sitting in the waiting room at a doctor's office when I came to the afterward. It was so hard not to openly cry about Kashki. :( He sounded like a wonderful cat.

Reading your post, it seems September is a hard month for you. (hugs)
Aw! Thank you so much Kathy. I'm thrilled that you enjoyed the book. Although of course I'm happy if any dog-lover likes it, I'm especially proud if a fellow GSD-owner approves :)

Kashka was indeed a special cat. Even people indifferent to cats that met him thought so. Thank you also for your kind words; I was just devastated when Alistair was killed. I lost three cats in six years (Alistair was a "replacement" for a kitten named Finnegan who developed FIP). Very sad. But the good news is that Hamilton seems hearty and healthy and will remain an indoor-only cat! Take care and have a wonderful Holiday season.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Charlie is adorable. I had 2 rag dolls at one time. They are fabulous. They grow to be a pretty nice size. I have 2 American Shorthair cats great personality but mine weigh 5lbs & 7lbs.
We are bringing Herro into our family this Saturday a 14 month GSD. Should be real interesting! Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

Have fun with your new addition!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
11,436 Posts
I recently lost a 21 year old Bengal - I know and sympathize with the holes they leave in your heart....I had Kinu longer than any thing in my life I think!

I recently got a new Bengal - who loves the dogs....I am going to have to get out the camera to take photos of her curled up next to Csabre - both sound asleep....

Other than big and fluffy - I would have recommended a Bengal....Giza, the new little silver leopard, is just so confident with my two older dogs, who are all that are here right now with me....

Lee

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I recently lost a 21 year old Bengal - I know and sympathize with the holes they leave in your heart....I had Kinu longer than any thing in my life I think!

I recently got a new Bengal - who loves the dogs....I am going to have to get out the camera to take photos of her curled up next to Csabre - both sound asleep....

Other than big and fluffy - I would have recommended a Bengal....Giza, the new little silver leopard, is just so confident with my two older dogs, who are all that are here right now with me....

Lee
21 years! Wow! That's impressive. You were obviously a fantastic cat-guardian (channeling Jackson Galaxy). Kinu sounds like he was one cool cat. I would need to buy a giant hamster wheel if I got a Bengal lol. I wanted a lazy breed. Somalis (my breed before Hamilton, my Ragdoll) aren't quite as energetic as Bengals, but they're close.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts