German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a deposit on a pup due to be born early December. I have been wracking my brain and the internet trying to find a "U" name for a girl. NOT EASY. I have gotten some great suggestions here and have a list going, but may have stumbled across the name yesterday. I mentioned that my daughter asked me to name my 5 favorite dogs that we have owned, that I would clone if I could. At the top of my list was Marek, a bitch my husband imported from Belgium in 1994. She was a phenomenal dog whose toughness on the field was equaled only by her loving nature in the home. She even saved my husband's life (I'm sure of it) on one occasion. She was only bred 3 times (to the top dogs in Europe) but produced some great dogs, including Pia Akbar who went on to produce multiple WUSV competitors from multiple sires. Sadly, we never had any puppies from her here in the US, she had to be spayed for health reasons, but we loved her for the last 7 years of her life and still miss her to this day. She was a daughter of Arek vom Stoffelblick, so they added the M to Arek to get her name Marek, so I think I will add a U to the front of that and call my new pup Umarek, Uma for short. A fitting tribute I hope to a great girl. As I type this I am actually tearing up remembering her.
Here's to you, Marek von Haus Antverpa IPO3, the first GSD to steal my heart.
http://http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/german_shepherd_dog/pedigree/121031.html

·
Registered
37 Posts
Since My GSD's are all rescues, they came with names. I liked Nala, so I kept that name. The male was named Roughroad (go figure). The lady who had him loved him but was homeless and could not keep him. I changed his name to Ford, which I hope keeps an indication of his original name, while being 'nicer". (He IS built Ford tough!). Ayla's original name was Bailey, which I hated.
Umarek is a lovely name, but just out of curiosity.. why does it need to be a "U" name?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I think Umarek is a great name and tribute. I love names that have meaning.

Overtgabby - I would imagine this puppy is coming from a "U" litter, so the breeders want all of the puppies to have U names

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
SO I take it you decided not to wait for a Beauc?

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
overtgabby-GSD breeders typically name their litters alphabetically. Their first litter is the "A" litter, the second is "B", and so on. The breeder I'm getting my pup from is on "U" now.

Tracy-here's a copy of the final decesion on the other thread.
Well, the universe may have addressed my issues today.
First, a client left her female Beauceron here for a few days for training. My husband has been doing most of the work since it was her bite that needed work. Today however, he said he needed me to handle her in obedience so he could work her in the sleeve. While I had a blast working her, grinning ear to ear the whole time, I was very rapidly reminded how much easier the GSD is to train overall. Don't get me wrong, the Beauce is a VERY smart dog and a blast to work, but has a very different style, especially the bite which isn't as geared toward Schutzhund, which is why they do Ringsport more commonly.
Second, my daughter asked me today, of all the dogs I've owned or lived with (we don't have "family" dogs here, all dogs have one person in the house so there is never an argument about feeding, training, etc), besides Java, which 5 dogs would I clone.
When I made my list I realized that all but one were female GSDs. Currently I live with all male GSDs. So I think what I'm really yearning for is the girl thing, not necessarily another Beauceron. I just had such a strong connection with her, and now think it wasn't the breed so much as the vibe if that makes any sense.
Weird how both of those things came up today, though. Wonders never cease.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Great name! I have Uschi- which sounds like sushi without the s- it's the German nickname for Ursula.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts