German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
also play devils adovocate here, I tend to agree with Ruby,,

while I do disagree that gsd's shouldn't go to first time dog owners, I do think if that first time dog owner has young children, ALOT of thought should go into it prior to getting a puppy.

I have to disagree with the statement made in a previous post, they are easy to train, while mine ALL HAVE been easy trainers, they aren't "all" that way:))

My 11 wk old is VERY demanding of my time and attention..If I had small kids there is no way I could keep up with it. She's also a biting machine at this age, and with small kids around I know this wouldn't be the best situation. She takes up ALOT of my time right now and my attention is on her 24/7.

I wholeheartedly agree looking into rescue. One who will screen their dogs and match to a family with small kids. However, I also know there are some rescues who will not adopt out dogs to kids under a certain age.

Puppies are definately cute, but I think having small kids on top of it, can be ALOT of work and could be overwhelming to someone who may not realize just exactly what it entails in having small kids AND a puppy..

Maybe try fostering a puppy from a local shelter or rescue group, see how that goes but of course the end decision is yours to make.
Just some ideas
Diane

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
Perhaps normal GSD's should not be shy, but as a rescue of the GSD I find most are.

A GSD in most cases would be fine, especially if th child comes first. The latter does not apply to your comments, but a prior one.

·
Registered
836 Posts
We looked at a dog that needed to be rehomed. She was so attached to her owner (and so spoiled) she would not have anything to do with us. Poor sweet Lucky really liked her (he liked everybody) but all she did was growl at him. The lesson is you have to consider the personality of the dog, not just that it's a dog.

·
Super Moderator
9,096 Posts
12yr old thread.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.