German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My mom gave the okay for me to adopt Raider from my aunts parents(who have threatened to shoot him) now just for my dad to say yes and I am holding my breathe. Raider shows up EVERY night!! I got a call today from my aunt and she was almost in tears. I said I will gladly take him. So they called my mom and she said "I am okay with it but her dad has to approve of it." I am hoping it is a yes because my aunts are going to pay for the food, vetting ect.. I will just have to exercise, feed ect.. My aunts said if I get attached to raider( I already am and don't own him yet!) she may allow me to keep him for the rest of his life.

So a little about raider. he is an 8 year old, I think Black and tan working line GSD. He has CRAZY ball drive. Him and my lab are even with the drive so I am used to it :D If I do get him i am hoping on teaching him how to swim. He tries to "walk on water". Bentley looks at him like he is stupid :rolleyes:

You have seen the pics before but guess what? You are seeing them again! they do him no justice though :/

So good thoughts please that I can "adopt" him!!

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
"they may let you keep him for the rest of his life" might be setting your self up to have him taken back, other than that congrats.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
He is a very handsome boy, I hope that you get to keep him and give him a forever and loving home. I will keep my :fingerscrossed: for you.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know he may be taken back but, not by my aunts dad at-least. My aunt is living in an apartment that does not allow animals so raider is/was living with her parents. He keeps showing up at my house and since her parents got her sister a new dog they don't want raider :/ So my aunt is trying to find a house but due to bad credit she can not. So i guess you can say I will be "fostering" him for a long time....I will be a failure. though :D

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I celebrated WAY to soon :( My dad said no. I had a feeling he would. I think a majority of the reason is because of the last expiernce with a GSD. He bit me and my mom. So if one dog in the breed did something wrong they are all bad in my parents minds. My mom is okay with raider but I know but dad isn't. He said "he is tried of taking in other peoples dog." I am really sad about this.

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
Taking in such a responsibility requires everyone in the family to be on one page. If you are underage your parents are responsible for you and maybe your dad is worried.
When I was a child I had the same dream but it took another 40 years until I came across the dog of my dreams, which is now.
As soon as I was on my own (my dad never allowed me to have a dog) I got a dog, not a GSD but a nice mutt. Shepherds are not really beginners' dogs IMHU. At that time I would not have been a good GSD owner due to the lack of experience and the availability of a good trainer. Your time will come.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Forgive me if I mixed up my posts, but weren't you worried about what you'll do with Tank and Bentley because you will be moving in a few years? As much as you want a GSD and as hard as it is to wait, it might work out for the best if you wait until you are established by yourself to get a GSD of your own. It's difficult to work dogs into the mix when not everyone is on board in your household.

Until then, how about volunteering at a shelter or GSD rescue? Many times at the shelter I volunteered at, the only times animals were taken out for walks was when volunteers came around. You can do a real service for neglected and disposed dogs by just donating your time. It would also expose you to different breeds and you would learn a lot from working in such an environment. If you can find a GSD breeder that you can apprentice with, that would be a neat learning experience as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts