Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This was a couple weeks ago.
Critique away!

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
His stack seems a bit overdone, back legs are too exaggerated.

I'm not a show person, but his pasterns look bad. Very weak. Perhaps others will give a better crit.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
His stack seems a bit overdone, back legs are too exaggerated
The stack isn't overdone IMO, the dog just has a lot of rear. His pasterns do look soft.

I'd like to see his head more "up" than forward. It really flattens out his wither.

What are his lines?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The stack isn't overdone IMO, the dog just has a lot of rear. His pasterns do look soft.

I'd like to see his head more "up" than forward. It really flattens out his wither.

What are his lines?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I thought he looked familiar!! Fate son.

He takes after his dam more than he does his sire.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Could also use more pronounced stop. At this stage kind of a bitchy head, but will have to see when he's more mature. And the pasterns are weak, but that could also improve with some time. Hard to get a good view of the shoulder on a black dog.
What does it mean on the sire's listing, normal left elbow? Was the right elbow not normal?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I think he is DJD Grade 1 on right elbow.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think he is DJD Grade 1 on right elbow.
ok.... explain lol Im still learning what all of the abbreviations, upon other things on the pedigree mean!

How do you know fate? Do you know Alicia then i presume? <3

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
DJD stands for degenerative joint disease, and Grade 1 is the mildest form of DJD.

From the OFA website re: breeding dogs with DJD Grade 1
We should investigate the protocol from other countries. Several have chosen to use Grade 1's with great success. Should we consider that?

The OFA does not participate in the decision process whether or not to breed an animal. However, the OFA strongly believes it is extremely important that breeders know and disclose the status of dogs' elbows regardless of whether the final decision is to breed or not. Only through complete and openly discussed knowledge of disease status will breeders have the information they need to make good breeding decisions.

There are many factors to consider when evaluating the progress of countries that permit breeding Grade I elbows. There may indeed be reasons to consider using Grade I elbows in breeding programs for the purpose of maintaining a broader gene pool, especially in countries where the breed specific rate of ED is approximately 25% or higher (as appears to be the case in some European countries). One must balance the potential consequences as they pertain both to the entire gene pool, and to elbow disease as a part of the gene pool. With a lower rate of ED in many breeds in the U.S., the genetic pressures to include Grade I ED's in most US breeding programs may not be the same as in other countries.
Orthopedic Foundation for Animals: Elbow Dysplasia

The first time I saw Fate online she was still Donna's - I know of Donna and Tracie (of Eclipse and Atlas Kennels) better than I do Alicia, although I have not met any of them in person before. I do know of Alicia's dogs and breeding program, though, and think I also remember seeing Max's picture on her kennel Facebook page, a month or so back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts