German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Max is going camping with us this weekend and i was wondering howi should introduce him to the water since its his frist time he's a year old but hes had no experience in the water. Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
He will probably jump right in :)

if he's a little scared though try having him follow you in or a toy and splash around a bit in shallow parts just getting his feet wet. Once he sees how fun it is you can try getting him to go out further. Lots of praise and rewards :) have fun take pictures :)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Bring a toy he likes (one that floats!) and a good attitude. What worked with our dog was for me to get into the water first, very shallow, and talk to her excitedly. I let her splash around and examine things a while, then introduced the toy to play water fetch with. We stayed in about half a foot of water for a while, then I started going further and further out. Eventually she discovered that if she chased the toy far enough out, her feet left the ground-- scary! But I kept encouraging and being upbeat and she figured out that swimming is fun.

If you'll be on a boat, I'd recommend a life jacket for your dog.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
and if your real leary, put him on a long line so you can haul him in if you have to:)

All of the gsd's I've had, have been big time water rats, they swim like fish, and have usually just taken the plunge and swim:)

I have a female aussie who couldn't swim to save her life,,so I always keep her on a long line if we are near water,,she will 'wade', but if she happened to walk off the deep end,,she tries to swim horizontal , panics, and would probably end up sinking like a stone:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts