German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The breeder i got him from said he is bi-color. I hear bi color and i automatically think black with brown on the forearms down haha I know dogs coats change over time. But his brown is on the inside of his legs and inbetween his toes. Its more now than when he was 13 wks old (he is 6 mo old now). Do you think that the brown will continue to become more and more? Would YOU consider him bi-color?

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I suppose technically he is, but I would call him black first.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
I see three colors in the picture. They do tend to get lighter. Just look at my album.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does he have tan in the vent area (around the anus)?

If yes, he is a very dark bi-color.
If no, he is a solid black with bleed through.
I remembered him having White in the vent area... but its not like i look everyday haha so i just went and checked, Its definately brown, and it looks like it goes from there and has started going down his tail a little bit too.
Im hoping that over time the brown shows more!! :D

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
bi-colors are usually born the color they will be as adults. They aren't like the black and tans where they start out real real dark and get much lighter as they get older.

He's a very good looking dog.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bi-colors are usually born the color they will be as adults. They aren't like the black and tans where they start out real real dark and get much lighter as they get older.

He's a very good looking dog.
Thank you! :D i try to keep it a secret, but max has a special place in my heart. haha

Is it weird that my black and tan, who was more WHITE than Tan, is now still the same black but less white, same tan, and alot more Reddish tones coming through. Not as much white... I only ask cause ive heard from many people, including you that, They usually get lighter with age.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How old was your black/tan when you got her? Do you have puppy pics and body shots you can post?
I can look through my photobucket, but i do believe the only photo's i have are not on a computer.I actually found a picture of her on the DAY we got her. I took a picture of the picture off my webcam haha Hope you can see her. Little girl!!! I cant believe she was ever this small!! When i got her she was mainly black with all white, and small traces of tan:

But as far as body pictures go, i JUST took these. She still has her white, but i could be wrong, but i see tints of red i her face, ears etc. her underbelly is all white though.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How old was your black/tan when you got her? Do you have puppy pics and body shots you can post?
oh and i got her when she was...a few days shy of 12 weeks.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Your Max looks just like my Jamie Lee. She will be 16 wks this Sunday. She has a little bit of tan in between her toes but she is considered a black. Her mom is a sable and her dad is a black. They seem to have the same facial features. She does not have the brown/tan on the inside of her legs though. I just thought how neat they look alike especially the second pic. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
oh yes, she has definitely lightened up a lot. It sounded like you were saying she had retained all her black from puppyhood, but she is significantly lighter which is normal for black/tans. She's a pretty girl!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your Max looks just like my Jamie Lee. She will be 16 wks this Sunday. She has a little bit of tan in between her toes but she is considered a black. Her mom is a sable and her dad is a black. They seem to have the same facial features. She does not have the brown/tan on the inside of her legs though. I just thought how neat they look alike especially the second pic. :)
AWEEEE THEY DO LOOK ALOT ALIKE, SO much that If Max was lost and i saw you walking your dog down the street id probably approach you and tell you to kindly return my dog to me lol

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh yes, she has definitely lightened up a lot. It sounded like you were saying she had retained all her black from puppyhood, but she is significantly lighter which is normal for black/tans. She's a pretty girl!
oh yeah no no no. haha She is less black for sure, sorry i didnt word that right at all! haha But i guess just within the past month and a half, i have noticed more of a darker tan/red tone around her face. :]
And thank you very much! Ruby definately struts like she knows she is pretty haha

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
My black has just a bit of brown between her toes. I know one of her sisters (12 in her litter) had some brown between her legs, and the toes, but was still considered black. I think the brown on the butt, and along the tail would make him a bi-color.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts