German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

So tomorrow Maximus comes home!!! :happyboogie:I have a question and wanted to get some opinions. We have about an hour and a half drive home from the breeders, so it's not that far.

I'm guessing he'll probably sleep all the way home, but if not, should I stop and let pup relieve himself halfway home?

My main question is what should I do when I get home. Should I stop outside the garage and take him around the side of the house to his new "potty area"? Should I pull into the garage, take him into the house and then out the door to his potty area? Or should I pull into the garage, take him into the house and let him explore/play with him for a bit to get him a little familiar with the house and then take him out to go potty?

I figure if he sleeps all the way home, he may need to go when we get home. I'm sure it's not a huge deal either way, but just I would throw it out there and get some opinions.

I'm leaning towards taking him home, bringing him in the house (carrying him up the garage steps into the house), letting him explore for 10 or 15 minutes and then taking him outside to his potty area.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

I can't tell you how excited my daughter and I am are! It's been a long wait... but it's almost over!

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Puppies have very small bladders, after the long drive and probably sleeping he's going to need a bathroom break. I'd carry him straight to his potty spot and make sure he goes before bringing him inside

Delgado had a 2.5 hour drive, I made sure he went before we left and he was able to hold it until we got home

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Congratulations. I would not stop anywhere for potty..too many germs out there. Take a crate with papers or potty pads so pup can relieve himself in the car.

When you get home, just do whatever feels right..but I sure wouldnt set him down in the house first as you know he will pee!

Have fun!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Good Luck tomorrow! I had about the same amount of car ride with my pup and he did fine. I wouldn't stop until you get home. If you're using old towels in the crate and he does pee on it, I would use that towel outside in the spot you want him to potty for a few days until he understands where you want him to go.
I actually brought home some soiled shavings of where he and his litter mates pottied and put some in the area of where I wanted him to go, that is another option for you.

I also remembered to bring Bear's blanket with me to rub all over the dam and litter mates to keep in his crate with him the first few nights, I think the scented blanket helped a bit.

Goold luck tomorrow, I'm very excited for you and Brianna!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. I think I'm going to take him right to his outdoor spot, but go throught the house first... just to try and get him into his new routine.

Thank you very much bear! That's a great idea about the towel. I'm going to bring a crate just in case, but my daughter is insisting that he stays on her lap on the way home. I told her he might have an accident or get car sick, but she doesn't care at all :) I'm going to put a towel over her and if does have an accident, I'll use that for his outside area.

I'm going to bring a blanket of his and the breeder said she'll give me something of theirs as well.

I can't wait, this time tomorrow we'll be about an hour away from the breeder, we're picking him up at 12!

·
Banned
77 Posts
We had 7 hours drive with our boy. We stop every 1.5 hours. So my guess is you should be able to go without stop. I took him right to his potty spot before we bring him inside.

If you have to make a stop make sure it is not rest stop.

Congrats on the new pup! I believe we all know how hard it is to go through the waiting game. I couldn't sleep the night before we pick him up. :wub:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Congrats, the long wait is finally over. Shouldn't be a problem at all with no stops. Ensure your breeder knows what time you will be picking him up so that way he doesn't feed him close to that time. This will help prevent any vomiting on the ride home.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Kennedy. Before I thought I might be up all night, but now i'm sure I will :) And if not me, my daughter will be!

Thank Ban-one... can't believe how slow the past few weeks have gone! Now I can start complaining about how bad our hands are chewed up with everyone else! lol We already planned that out with the breeder. Picking up at 12, should be home by 2ish depending on how long we stay at the breeders.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I also remembered to bring Bear's blanket with me to rub all over the dam and litter mates to keep in his crate with him the first few nights, I think the scented blanket helped a bit.
!
That is a great idea. I did the same thing with Fiona, except I used a stuff animal. It worked wonderful and it is the only one she has not tried to destroy.
I would take in house, but immediately out to potty. I am so happy for your new addition. Cannot wait to see pics.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
23 Posts
I ad about an hour and a half drive home too and my little guy made it all the way home without stopping. i took him through the house and right to his potty spot and he went. congrats on the new addition! i will say i spent the entire first night laying right beside the crate and the next few nights were pretty brutal as well....but definitely worth it!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi everyone!

So tomorrow Maximus comes home!!! :happyboogie:I have a question and wanted to get some opinions. We have about an hour and a half drive home from the breeders, so it's not that far.

I'm guessing he'll probably sleep all the way home, but if not, should I stop and let pup relieve himself halfway home?

My main question is what should I do when I get home. Should I stop outside the garage and take him around the side of the house to his new "potty area"? Should I pull into the garage, take him into the house and then out the door to his potty area? Or should I pull into the garage, take him into the house and let him explore/play with him for a bit to get him a little familiar with the house and then take him out to go potty?

I figure if he sleeps all the way home, he may need to go when we get home. I'm sure it's not a huge deal either way, but just I would throw it out there and get some opinions.

I'm leaning towards taking him home, bringing him in the house (carrying him up the garage steps into the house), letting him explore for 10 or 15 minutes and then taking him outside to his potty area.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

I can't tell you how excited my daughter and I am are! It's been a long wait... but it's almost over!
Well?? The suspense is killing me!! Pictures, first impressions as a new gsd dad, write up! Anything!:wild:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts