German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: Does anyone have any advice/experience regarding Masticular Myositis? As you may have read my previous post(s), my 20 month old female GSD, Olina, was diagnosed with Lyme. She just finished her 3 weeks of doxy but she still was suffering from jaw pain. It was getting slightly worse. So I did some research online and on this website and I asked my vet to send off the 2M test to UCSD. I am waiting on those results.

Olina is very much in pain and has a hard time picking up her favorite toy(s). I have been feeding soft food only and keeping her rowdy, mouthy, brother London away from her. (She cries when he grabs her near the jaw in his usual playful way.)

If the test is positive, my vet said that we will be putting her on Prednisone for 6 months. I am wondering if the Lyme had any effect in the development of this MMM. I tend to think so, since they both are directly involved with her immune system going haywire.

My vet recommends vaccinating her once she is "back to normal, or as close to it as possible." But from what you all are telling me, that would be a HUGE mistake. I am leaning toward NOT vaccinating her, especially if she already has such an over-reactive immune system.

My poor girl. She is just not herself at all.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
I would see a chiropractor to see if adjusting the neck helps the jaw.

Remember that no one is ever "cured" from Lyme. This means that any dog that has had a tick disease, should be on antibiotics whenever they are given steroids.

If this is autoimmune and not infection, certainly the lyme could have triggered it.

My girl had this when she was younger, from her lyme vaccine. She could not hold anything in her mouth and had a hard time eating. I treated with alternative care and intermittent antibiotics. In spite of sever damage to her immune system from the vaccine, I never gave her steroids.

It is interesting that the doxy did not help the jaw. It is an anti-inflammatory and can modulate the immune system to some degree. Makes me wonder what is really going on. I would make an AVCA certified K9 chiro my first stop.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Just making sure you saw this thread:
Jaw Pain (long) (
1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
Catu

Masticatory Myositis

Here are the possible explanations:
  • A foreign body may be stuck in the soft tissues of the mouth
  • Tetanus infection
  • An abscess behind the eye (which almost always stems from an injury inside the mouth)
  • Dislocation of the jaw (the jaw can actually be fused closed if there is enough arthritis)
  • Polymyositis (a general muscle inflammation)
  • Muscular Dystrophy
  • Craniomandibular osteopathy (a jaw bone growth abnormality)
  • Masticatory Myositis
Sorting these out will require general anesthesia to get the mouth open and check for painful oral conditions (broken teeth, oral foreign body, growths inside the mouth), and radiographs to assess the tempero-mandibular (jaw) joints and jaw bones themselves. General blood tests are also drawn including a special test for Masticatory Myositis (the “2M antibody” test). In more advanced cases of Masticatory myositis the patient’s jaws will not open even under general anesthesia.
Polymyositis is difficult to distinguish from Masticatory myositis. Poly myositis is a more generalized muscle inflammation involving other muscles beyond those of mastication. Polymyositis patients will be negative on the 2M antibody test but so are up to 15% of patients with Masticatory myositis. A muscle biopsy may be necessary to distinguish these conditions.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Jean. I just read that entire post. Poor Diabla. I know what Catu must have gone through.
Olina is not quite as bad as what was described of Diabla, but I do want to take this very seriously because it could get much worse.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts