German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not my shepherd but my boxer that seemed to have two. One on right hind quarter, other on right hind knee. They grew quickly late Friday evening so I took her to all night vet center. Vet at emergency center did fine needle aspiration but said sample was inconclusive. Now one cannot determine where they were to do farther tastes as they went down and dog looks normal. Anyone have thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
32,419 Posts
remove them and Send them for biopsy. If it's inconclusive then it might not be MCTs. Boxers get weird spots.

Btw...my vet refused to do an aspirate on a possible MCT. He said by doing so it releases more histamines and could "seed" her body. So be careful doing that. It's better to watch them for growth and remove them.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
You should get it checked. My older dog had one but after a biopsy they said it was a spindle cell tumor which is treatable with surgery. It has been almost two years and has not returned. That type doesn't spread like mast cells do.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yep, boxers get weird spots. I have had many boxers, and many lumps and bumps. Never had ones that changed quickly, though. Never open or weeping sores. Nothing larger than a dime. Just bumps under the fur. Never lost one to cancer.

I did lose a rottie to a bump that grew overnight - not just grew - inflated to 20x in size. We rushed to emergency, but the tumor was tangled around his anus and a colostomy bag would have resulted if successful. He was elderly so we chose to let him pass peacefully instead.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your responses. the vet at the emergency place did a fine needle aspiration and the results came back inconclusive. at this point it's impossible to tell where the tumors were located so a biopsy cannot readily be done unless they reappear. I spoke to the vet today when I had her up there for a rash and they said it's possible that they could have gone away in may or may not come back. I guess I'll just wait to see if there's any further growth to the point where it's noticeable and then have a biopsy done.

·
Registered
32,419 Posts
A mast cell tumor does not just disappear. They react to histamines and doing a needle aspirate on it would have activated those. It's probably just a weird boxer thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts