German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a 10 week old puppy now. I read that massaging the ears will help them stand up if you massage them in the base. Funny thing is, my puppy is laying with the ears flapped down, but when I massaged the one exposed ear as told, it is up and when I push it down it is back up again. What do you all recommend ? (my experiment is probably not valid as it stayed up for only 2 mins so far, the reason I ask)

·
Registered
386 Posts
well physically massaging does improve blood flow, but at 10 weeks his ears are gonna do all sorts of funny things, i have heard when you pet your puppy, to pet him from his back to his head rather than head to back... but i would just wait till he's close to 5 months, after he's done teething

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I did it with Heidi when she was 4 months, the top half of her ear flopped over, never stood up, so i started to massage it a few times a day and after awhile it stood up, she`s the smallest of my 3, but her ears are bigger than the other 2

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Actually...it's FACT & FICTION....
FACT....it helps stimulate the blood flow and circulation...
FICTION.....creased ears & genetics will assist in preventing ears from properly standing, no matter how much "massage" is performed.
Massaging the ears will not harm the ear...and most dogs/puppies love the feel!!!

·
The Italian One
8,729 Posts
Actually...it's FACT & FICTION....
FACT....it helps stimulate the blood flow and circulation...
FICTION.....creased ears & genetics will assist in preventing ears from properly standing, no matter how much "massage" is performed.
Massaging the ears will not harm the ear...and most dogs/puppies love the feel!!!
:thumbup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
I have a 10 week old puppy now. I read that massaging the ears will help them stand up if you massage them in the base. Funny thing is, my puppy is laying with the ears flapped down, but when I massaged the one exposed ear as told, it is up and when I push it down it is back up again. What do you all recommend ? (my experiment is probably not valid as it stayed up for only 2 mins so far, the reason I ask)
My puppy just turned 8 weeks old. Have been massaging her ears for 2 weeks a few times a day. Today I came home from work and both ears are straight up. I have heard about massaging dogs ears for 30 years and it works every time with every dog I have had thru the years.

·
Registered
58 Posts
At almost 4 months, Max’s ears are finally staying up. I started massaging his ears and giving him a hard boiled egg with shell for the last week and a half.
Coincidence? Maybe, but we’ll never know 😉

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.