German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 7.5 month GSD usually does pretty well on a leash with a nylon flat collar when out on a walk. I mean sometimes he will pull, but I put a stop to that pretty quickly when he does. The issue is when we walk past another dog or a jogger he gets so excited that he wants to go meet them and then he pulls towards them and for the most part wont listen until they pass by or if I completely turn around and go the other way.

Im sure additional training on this and working with him would help get past this issue but im curious if a martingale collar would also help curb this? Any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks!

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
No, a martinagale is not a training collar. It prevents the dog from slipping its collar. If it has a small chain section it may give a sensitive dog enough of a notice that he is not in the proper position, but for the most part it is not a collar that will modify behavior through correction.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I use a martingale for training and it is very effective. I've always used it with the GSD, but I have another 7 year old male dog who pulls really bad on the leash. I gave up before we got the GSD and just put a harness on him for walks.

Anyway, the martingale worked so well on the GSD I trained my 7 year old dog with one and he no longer pulls while walking on a leash.

My trainer did mention if a dog has a long or thick coat the martingale may not be as effective.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I use a martingale with all of my dogs. In fact, it is pretty much the only collar I use in training. The OP is asking if he can use the martingale to correct a reaction to dogs or joggers, and frankly, I do not think that will be effective.

Training with a martingale is generally not a corrections-based training.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the responses

so the martingale will help with the pulling, but for the excitement when he sees another dog or a jogger I should work with him more on the watch command. seems doable. would a prong collar be effective if the watch command doesn't do the trick?

·
Registered
710 Posts
You can correct with a martingale, but it just won't be as effective as a prong. I use a martingale because my dog is a stubborn butt head and learned early on how to back out of a flat collar.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
so the martingale will help with the pulling, but for the excitement when he sees another dog or a jogger I should work with him more on the watch command. seems doable. would a prong collar be effective if the watch command doesn't do the trick?
I successfully correct with a martingale. Thursday we went to the vet and he growled and barked at a few dogs. I corrected him with the martingale. Monday we go back to the vet, no barking and growling. He just waited either sitting or laying on the floor until we were called.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My 7.5 month GSD usually does pretty well on a leash with a nylon flat collar when out on a walk. I mean sometimes he will pull, but I put a stop to that pretty quickly when he does. The issue is when we walk past another dog or a jogger he gets so excited that he wants to go meet them and then he pulls towards them and for the most part wont listen until they pass by or if I completely turn around and go the other way.

Im sure additional training on this and working with him would help get past this issue but im curious if a martingale collar would also help curb this? Any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks!
My 15 month gets excited too... He is leash reactive out of frustration of unable to meet and greet. He can be vocal about it too. Our trainer has us use a clicker/treat method. The idea is for him to see these objects (joggers, dogs, etc) as good rather than bad. I hope that makes sense? When I see him look at the dog I click before he barks. Then treat. I do this as many times as necessary until we pass the dog. I started where I would cross streets because my boy gets excited... now we go head on with dogs and he is much better. She explained that if I used a correction, he might relate that object to not good. Example: Jogger - Tug - Bad. Opposed to Jogger - Click and Treat - Good. There are so many ways to train and tools to use. The key is to find what works best for your pup. For us... it is a Halti and a clicker with treats. This is just my preference.

You mentioned that sometimes you go the other way. My trainer also recommended this. We also do this as he relates: excited bark mom turns away I don't get to see dog. :) I do this when we enter the dog park as he gets all Rambo on us because he wants to play. So now as we enter the gate if he pulls or barks, I turn and walk away from the gate for a little distance, stop, and try again. It takes time and patience but they will get it!

·
Registered
13 Posts

I like that you turn around and walk the other way. When you do that, with calm state of mind, just turn the other way and keep walking until your puppy begins to heel again beside you. Reward that behaviour.

Eye contact is key in a situation like this and can be used to your advantage. Seriously, you’ll see major improvements when you start rewarding for eye contact as well. Search for @canine_performance on instagram and look through their page, she has tons of stuff on this.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I like that you turn around and walk the other way. When you do that, with calm state of mind, just turn the other way and keep walking until your puppy begins to heel again beside you. Reward that behaviour.

Eye contact is key in a situation like this and can be used to your advantage. Seriously, you’ll see major improvements when you start rewarding for eye contact as well. Search for @canine_performance on instagram and look through their page, she has tons of stuff on this.
This thread is too old; this member hasn't posted since 2013...;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts