German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sam and I start obedience classes next week. We had our first class last Monday, but it was just a "talking" class. We actually start working next Monday. We can't train with choke chains or prong collars, but can train with a Martingale. I bought one at Petsmart that is nylon/chain. I like it, but the problem is that I have to loosen it to get it over Sam's ears, but then tighten it on his neck so that it fits correctly. Well, with a 10 month old puppy, you can imagine how much patience he has with that! I read that you can buy a collar that has a release on the side so that you don't have to adjust every time you put it on and take it off, but can't find one on the internet. Any suggestions from you experts out there? I really like the nylon/chain combination because it gets his attention better. But if you have better suggestions, I'm sure open to anything. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Kris -

Do you mean something like this?

http://www.shoredog.com/Collars%20Hemp.html#Walker

It has a side quick clip. I've never used the martingales with chain, although I have used in the past the ones that are all nylon web. I didn't have a problem getting the collar over my dogs' heads, but apparently many do.

I googled 'quick clip martingale collar' and came up with a few sites that carry them.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both so much - the information was very helpful!

·
Registered
9,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Jean! Here's the one I ordered. It has that little bit of chain (which gets his attention) and also a side release.

Wish us luck - tonight is our first "working" class!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts