German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been giving Odin marrow bones practically his entire life and he's always loved them and done fine with them.

A month or so ago I bought a big bag of them from a local butcher and they gave him horrible diarrhea. I thought maybe it was something else at the time but it was definitely the bones.

Is it possible that there was something wrong with those specific bones? I was considering trying them again but i'm afraid of upsetting his stomach again.

What would cause bad diarrhea after eating them if up until this point he would get 1-2 a week without any stomach upset?

And lastly are there any similar alternatives to try with him instead?

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
They could have been bad. I give Max ones from a local pet store. I believe Primal sells them and they are antibiotic free, etc. Remember that anything the cow was given can go into the marrow.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
You can scoop the marrow out which is really rich and refill it with something else like peanut butter, canned dog food, or another favorite ground up treat and freeze it:)

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Go to the butcher and get knucklebones or soupbones. The cartilege is nutritious and there is usually some meat on them. I don't like feeding marrow bones as they are pretty dense and can break teeth-not to mention the marrow is a cause for runny poop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts