German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 1 year old intact male has marked indoors at 2 sitters houses, unfortunately we were not there for the first one,

Wife dropped him off at another sitters today, which he had been to before he started , and she picked up on him getting ready to mark, she told him to leave it and pulled him away and he still hit it from a distance.

We play fetch at the park daily where he marks trees frequently, when we walk on leash he is not allowed to mark freely.

Should we also stop him from marking when off leash to keep it consistent? We use a E-collar for our normal training so can give him a correction when he starts the behavior.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,852 Posts
Do you mean indoors?It's an instinctual behavior for dogs to leave their scent "messages" for other dogs.I don't think not allowing him to mark off leash would carry over to the sitter's house. If the sitter is willing and you're comfortable with him accepting a correction from her - she could make it very clear marking is unacceptable indoors and take him outside immediately where he could mark over the other dog's urine.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you mean indoors?It's an instinctual behavior for dogs to leave their scent "messages" for other dogs.I don't think not allowing him to mark off leash would carry over to the sitter's house. If the sitter is willing and you're comfortable with him accepting a correction from her - she could make it very clear marking is unacceptable indoors and take him outside immediately where he could mark over the other dog's urine.
Yes sorry, indoors.

I am definitely ok with correction, she will not use the E-collar, but will have to talk to her about using a leash with the prong.

I was/am concerned that since he marks freely so much at the park he sees another house the same way

·
Administrator
10,466 Posts
Yes sorry, indoors.

I am definitely ok with correction, she will not use the E-collar, but will have to talk to her about using a leash with the prong.

I was/am concerned that since he marks freely so much at the park he sees another house the same way
my male marks freely, both on and off leash unless he’s in a formal heel. he does not mark indoors, however, if it’s a house that i know has likely been peed in before (such as a sitter) - i still make sure that he’s empty prior to entering and remain vigilant for those first few moments. for my own sake. if he’s meeting another dog, those meetings happen outside as well since the urge to mark sometimes follows. that said - i can think of single instances where i’ve given a collar correction in a pet store or vets office. you may want to work with him in those environments to set a clear message and hopefully see some carry over. another thing that’s been helpful for me, is to discourage marking on non organic objects.

·
Super Moderator
8,852 Posts
Well it's possible I suppose. For me personally I am uncomfortable with trying to thwart mother nature and extinguish an ingrained instinctual behavior. Managing it is doable though.

Reactions: ArkAngel

·
Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis, Reacher Auf Der Marquis
1,596 Posts
You taught him not to mark at home. Generalize it, teach him not to mark at the sitters. His urge could very well be, I can tell several other dogs have, so I will.

I will let my dogs mark trees, hydrants, grass, but never in someones nice ornamental landscaping or flowers. Took a while but is pretty well generalized and they rarely need reminding even when it's obvious they smell some other markings.

·
Registered
Charlie (DOB 11/24/20)
433 Posts
Im in the process of teaching my young male mixed breed not to mark in the house, we've had so many dogs in and out of the house, fosters, sitting, etc. that im sure its quite tempting although we clean and clean and clean🙄

I bought him a belly band for when he's wandering around the house and I cant supervise/train him, like a diaper for male dogs, I take it off when I wanna work on it, hes getting a lot better.

·
Registered
Eska von den Roten Vorbergen
4,173 Posts
When I bought the kennel, I had a huge problem with Ranger peeing in the house! It might have been due to there having been other dogs in the house previously, or due to my tenant having two intact males. (Ranger was neutered, though.) He always managed to do it when I wasn't watching, so it was very hard to correct him. I swear he'd wait until I went out to the dog runs or was otherwise away from the house!

Then, one day I was on the phone, and I managed to catch him in the act. I dropped the phone, scruffed him and told him off.

It did not happen again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts