German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jake is 9 months old and like most he pees on all fours and most of the time on a front paw..:eek:

A few days ago I took him to Petsmart to see his old puppy school instructor ( it had been raining for two days) and to do some socializing. Next thing I know Jake is trying to balance himself on 3 legs and proceeds to mark to training ring! I am horrified and just shocked. I clean it up and we leave.....so the rest of the evening he pees on all fours....

The last two days I have taken him on short hikes (off leash when nobody is around during the day) and he does GREAT....of courseI haven't given him the chance to pass another dog or people off leash, we are a long way from that. Anyway, Jake has ALWAYS been a neat potty boy. He always pulls me to the tree line or off a trail or greenway to to his business so he went off the trail the last two days and did #2....great GOOD boy. Then he comes running back to my side for a cookie and on we go. Well, the last two days he has been stopping a few times to pee and both days he lifted his leg ( or at least tried) and marked a tree. Again I am shocked.

I guess my questions are.......do I correct it when I can (if he is leashed), do I ignore it off leash or what do I do off leash, am I to be concerned that he may want to mark inside since he did it at Petsmart? I have heard horror stories about intact males....what do I make of this?

This may seem like a silly question to some of you but in the past I had a mixed breed female and a neutered male wire fox terrier.

Other then my baby is growing up:rolleyes: is there anything else I should know?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
haha, Cody pee's on his front paw sometimes too...

Are you gonna nueter him?

I'm not sure if marking territory is a correctable offense or not. outside I would say no, but as you mention he did it inside too. im interested to hear what the experts say

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
men can be such slobs:))

I definately correct IF my male decides he is going to mark inside a store, somewhere he shouldn't be..As in, I just pull him off and take him outside,,(hanging my head in shame of course!:) As for outside, well a male is a male, they do tend to mark alot, again, if it's something YOU don't want, keep him moving..

As long as mine are peeing in an appropriate place, I let them, marking or not.

Funny, when I had two males, my younger one would NEVER lift his leg at home while the other one was around, now that he is the only male, oh mr macho lifts his leg proudly:)

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
I had an intact male that never once marked in the house. However, the vet I have is a clinic, three vets work there, so we see whoever happens to be working the day of the appointment. Chief hated the male vet there, and whenever we got him, he would lift his leg and mark the wall. That's the only time I ever saw him do that. It was like he was dissing the guy. Wolfie still squats and pees on his own feet.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
men can be such slobs:))

I definately correct IF my male decides he is going to mark inside a store, somewhere he shouldn't be..As in, I just pull him off and take him outside,,(hanging my head in shame of course!:) As for outside, well a male is a male, they do tend to mark alot, again, if it's something YOU don't want, keep him moving..
Good advice and Deuce pees on his front leg....LOL.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Onyx squats (thankfully he doesn't hit his legs!!), but my rottie lifted his leg. I didn't just let him mark while I was walking on leash, since I didn't want to be stopping every 30 seconds. I never corrected him for it, I just kept moving fast our whole walk, and didn't give him time to sniff or mark. I did stop in 3 places on our normal 5 mile walk for him to mark...and he got quite excited whenever we got close, but he knew that was the only time he was allowed.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I was at the vets one time, paying for the visit when I heard a tinkling sound. I looked down and Blitz was proudly peeing on the corner of the desk. I cleaned it up and left with my head hung in shame.

When we first got him he did mark inside the house, took about a week to break the habit. Since then he hasn't marked, but I watch him closely in Petsmart and make sure he's in a sit if I stop to look at something.

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
Karlo is 20 months and marks occasionally when on leash. I usually correct him if I don't want him marking. He has been a leg lifter since very, very young.
I took him for a 6 mile walk the other day and we went to Pet Supplies Plus afterward to get cat food. He never goes to pet stores and I think the scents of other dogs was overwhelming.
He marked in the first Isle and I stopped him immediately. He didn't hit anything, but talk about embarrasing! I cleaned it up and watched him like a hawk after that. He scented out all the other areas that dogs mark. I don't know if I'll take him to pet stores anymore :blush:

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, I shouldn't be too alarmed he will mark inside? I won't allow him to when on walks IF he tries but if he is off lead I can't help it.

I just am so ashamed he did that INSIDE and then the next two days trying to get his leg up when I knew he didn't have to pee, we always "potty" before we start a walk or hike.

I am just having nightmares he's going to mark the sofa when I am not looking. I know the hormones must be kicking in, but do males do this their entire life and when he is neutered does it stop? I am planning to neuter him at about 2yrs old.

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
If you bring him to someone elses home with other pets, he may mark. Though neutering may not stop that, it is a training issue and can be controlled. My BIL has a male Mal/ Chow mix~ he'll try to mark in every house he enters. He is neutered.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OMG! I would *hit if Jake tried to mark inside someone's home!!!!!!!!!!!

So, do I really keep him on leash? I just started allowing him off because of the pano so he can go at his pace, run a bit if he wants or slow down... but if I need to correct it I will.
I assume if I say NO he understands why?

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
I don't think the leash will matter, you can verbally correct him, that is what I do with Karlo, he knows. I just say Ack~NO Marking! and he has associated it.

·
Super Moderator
32,411 Posts
I allow marking off leash, but not on on leash. Off leash is for fun, on leash he's working with me. Keefer has never marked indoors (he was neutered at 15 months old) and only sometimes lifts his leg to pee. On a leash walk I'll verbally correct him and keep moving if he tries to lift his leg - if he really needs to pee he'll stop and squat in the middle of the path, and that I do allow.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone.....I guess he trying to grow up n me.....:wub:

I agree no marking when on the leash...I have been enjoying giving him a bit of freedom and letting him off the leash now that it is colder and there are way less people out we can do that. Thinking back the last few weeks he has stopped me a lot to potty but never lifted or tried, in hindsight he was marking I just didn't know it....OOOOPS

1 - 15 of 15 Posts