German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
These are some snaps I took of Maple today. The green wall with white door is our master bath. All the pics of it are Maple hanging out because our old Dachshund dog Bella is eating inside. Maple acts like she is starving and either waits at the door or charges in for the Bella's food bowl. She is is 9lbs and I just went up to 1.98 cups of (3x2/3) from 1 1/4 for 5-10lbs from the bag. Bella's food is also different. Vet comes tomorrow so will see what she says. When she makes it to Bella's bowl it is like pulling a kid away from the toy isle or worse. :)

I was trying to get a good pic with our cat Dobby. Dobby doesn't most like dogs. She has had a troubled past with Huskies. Found my daughter's 7 month old new Huskie puppy proudly carrying her through the living room in her mouth one day, probably to hide her in a corner like she tries with her toys or food. Also didn't know he jumped the fence into neighbors yard when their Husky mix was in the back yard and barely escaped with his life. Dobby is an inside cat with no front claws but we let him out supervised sometimes, just got distracted that time and he went over the fence. All you hear was dogs yapping and Dobby screaching. Just could see his head pop back up trying to pull himself over as my wife grabbed on and yanked him back. Of course scared Dobby and us all. So now Dobby hisses and scatters as dogs come into the house she doesn't know. She doesn't mind Bella and my oldest daughter's Beagle (from earlier video). She is gradually getting used to Maple. Still hisses and swats but will come around and let Maple close but then Maple tries to nip her and well either hiss and hit or turn and run to highest point. Hoping Dobby will finally relax more as the puppy stage leaves but Dobby may be gone before then if my daughter moves and takes her (she is hers).

Potty training has been a struggle because we went out of town and my kids had to take care of her but she spent a good bit of time in her crate due to it. Never an accident in the crate and she is finally making a break through today with ringing the back door bell we have as she whines to go out. Sigh. Progress. :)

Finally I have a question about the black strip down her back. Earlier I posted pics of her mom and a pic like her dad (Panda color). I think I read here or somewhere else that the black strip may grown down the side to more of a black and tan. What can you guys tell me about that? Wondering if she is going to stay Sable or will be Black and Tan. I have noticed a bit of white/gray hair on her chest and under body (which I'm guessing is from dad). It is not solid but light. Another thing I notices that you can't tell from the pic but if you rub down on her forehead above the light brown coloring above her left eye she has a white dot of light brown below the grayish brown coloring of her main coat. You can also tell by that face pic some of the light white that is showing around front shoulders that I mentioned i see on her chest and under body.

Thanks for reading and viewing. We are new to GSDs. My wife says she is going to be an ugly dog. Of course I picked her. But during this puppy stage she is loving it and saying how cute she is to her. She is the type that wants the ears to not stand but flop. :) She'll end up liking her more than me. :)

mapleupdate1.jpg
mapleupdate2.jpg
mapleupdate3.jpg
mapleupdate4.jpg

·
Registered
60 Posts
She’s very cute. My dad and brother didn’t want mines ears to get erect, but I like them. Maple is a sable. Sables usually have a dark stripe down their back as puppies, and when they get older, that black starts to show through the other parts of the body. Eva has some white in her ears and under belly, but that’s normal. Here’s a picture of Eva at 7 weeks and then 7 months, she’s a dark sable. Yours looks to be a lighter sable. (Puppy pictures taken by breeder).

Reactions: Glenn Batson

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
She is a cutie. I love the color of the sables. sables, not one is the same color, like a fingerprint. Their colors change all the time till about a year or so. My 3 mo old has her adult coat coming in on her back. Your wife will say she is beautiful in time.
Indy is a black sable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts