German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading great things about this. Does anyone use it? And where is a good place to get it? The ones on Amazon a lot of people say its not the real stuff. I do not want to buy without some input

Thanks

·
Registered
538 Posts
My husband used Manuka honey last year when he had an ulcer and it did help.

We got it from an alternative health food store local in the city where we live in Canada. Expensive stuff, but seemed to help him.

Are you considering for yourself or for your dog? I don't have any input with it being used with dogs.

·
Registered
31,797 Posts
It has to be UMF 15 or higher. I would not buy from Amazon. Look for private sites.

I had asked the doctor in Australia doing the studies on manuka if taken internally would it help systematic infections..below is his answer

The potency of the antibacterial activity of manuka honey is such that it will not work if diluted more than ten- to twenty-fold, so even if the antibacterial activity got absorbed into the system (we don't know if it does) it would get diluted too much to be effective. There is a possibility that honey may stimulate the immune response of the body and help kill bacteria that way, but research on this has been done only on white blood cells in culture, so again it is not known if the active component will enter the system.

It should be possible to clear up the skin infection by applying honey. The challenge will be keeping the honey on the skin, because dogs like the taste of honey, and tend to chew off dressings of any sort anyway. For the honey to be most effective it needs to be kept on the skin. There is information on my website Peter Molan | University of Waikato | Papers - Academia.edu on how wounds are best dressed with honey. (See also the information on distinguishing the genuine manuka honey from misleading product on sale, which is in 'Pdf 7' and 'Pdf 8'.)

Please let me know if I can be of any further help.
Regards,
Peter
Dr P. C. Molan
Professor in Biological Sciences

Honey Research website: http://waikato.academia.edu/PeterMolan/Papers

Postal address:
Department of Biological Sciences
University of Waikato
Private Bag 3105
Hamilton 3240
New Zealand
My 17 yr old has MRSA and the infectious disease doctor highly recommended manuka honey as a topical agent. She said she's seen it clear up many different diseases and infections that modern medicine can't touch.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Jax is right.....has to be 15 or higher.
When I get home tonite I'll look at the name of mine (which I got from my holistic vet) and post it. :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
It has to be UMF 15 or higher. I would not buy from Amazon. Look for private sites.
I want to third that. I found some at Sprouts when I needed to locate it.

My dad had a lung transplant and his doctors told him to use manuka honey topically on his chest tube sites - they healed up VERY nicely and quickly. No input on internally using it OR on a pet.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My husband used Manuka honey last year when he had an ulcer and it did help.

We got it from an alternative health food store local in the city where we live in Canada. Expensive stuff, but seemed to help him.

Are you considering for yourself or for your dog? I don't have any input with it being used with dogs.
For my dog, he has Mega E. I figured it can help soothe his throat as well as the other positives it seems to have

1 - 6 of 6 Posts