German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband dropped Mandalay off at the vets this morning to be spayed. She is 17 weeks (born Jan 29th). I wanted to wait a while, but we are going to be away at the end of July and she will be 6 months at that time (nearing the first heat time) and I dont want to leave her at the kennel while she is in heat. Plus the kennel wants her surgery done 6 weeks before she is left there, so this week it was.

I am SOOO worried. I know that this is routine and I have had many a girl dog spayed, but I always get so concerned.

The vet said she is a good looking Shepherd and that she is coming along fine. I think she looks a little skinny, but she weighed in at 35lbs. He said she is a little tall and leggy and that may make her look a little skinny to me, but she should even herself out as she keeps growing.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The vet actually called as I finished that post. They said she is all done and she is fine and I can go pick her up tonight after 5. I feel better that she is all done and I know she is doing good.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Glad she is OK...I know you are relieved and can't wait to go get her

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
of course you are worried about your baby. I was freaked out when I took Brady in for X-rays. Anything that you have to knock your baby out is cause for concern.

She is a baby still and will grow into her body
Glad she is ok

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh My Gosh she looked even skinnier when I picked her up!! Poor thing had not eaten all day and then had her insides removed.

Mandalay slept all night. We put a big fluffy comforter inside her crate to make her more confortable and woke her up to go out once. We gave her a tiny bit of water when she got home and she threw it up. The vet said she might. So we switched to ice cubes...she likes them better anyway.

This morning I thought that she'd be more awake when I left for work, but she was still pretty tired. She did not want breakfast at all (even with some salisbury steak in it) and my husband said she still turned her nose up at a piece of ham a little while ago (he was trying to get her to eat anything at that point). It has been about 24 hours now since the surgery, so she may still feel a little groggy and her tummy may still just be upset. She is drinking water, though. If she does not eat in a few hours time I may call the vet just for my own piece of mind. All my other dogs could barely wait to eat, so this is new to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts