German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I'm surprised there isn't a grooming subforum. Back on point...

What do you do to help manage dog odor?

I'm not sure why but, Brunie seems to get that "dog" smell quicker and stronger than any other dog I've owned and I don't know why. She is pretty active but when we aren't walking or playing she's indoors. She is still intact but, hasn't had her first heat yet. I'm not even sure that matters but, I figured I'd throw it out there.

We wipe her down with bath wipes or a spritz of doggie perfume every other day and she still gets pretty ripe within just a couple of days of a bath. I don't want to bathe her too much as I heard it can dry their skin out but, I also don't want people to know we have a dog just because they can smell it on our clothes while we're out somewhere. Any helpful hints on good products or practices would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I found Lola smells a lot better since switching her to RAW.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
It's pretty much all about what goes IN, and a lot less about what goes ON the dog ;)

Mrs. P's question is a great place to start.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
How old is she? Can you tell where the smell is coming from... is it her ears, her mouth, her back end, or her skin? Is it possible she's rolling in something? You can bathe your dog as often as you need to, as long as you use a mild, gentle shampoo that doesn't strip the oils out of the coat. Earthbath is a good one.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I find that very odd. Mia almost never has a 'dog smell'. She can go months without a proper bath and still not smell.

The only time she stinks is when she comes back from the lake.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I would ask the food question as well. Jake spends tons of time outside on walks, playing in water, etc and he doesn't have a bad odour. He has a very faint scent, but we love the way he smells :)

I should also note that Jake is on homemade dog food ... no commercial dog food in our house.

·
Registered
31,821 Posts
What are you feeding?
Yes. Quite often the smell is a yeast overgrowth. Definitely look at her food. Possibly look up candida overgrowth and treat for that.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The smell emanates from her coat in general, it's not gas, breath, ears etc... Almost like a milder version of wet dog.

We are feeding Merrick Classic Puppy right now. She was on Chicken Soup for the puppy lover's souls large breed at the breeders recommendation but, it gave her the ****s something awful and she still had a bit of wet dog odor.

To be fair I do have a fairly sensitive nose so, it may not actually be as powerful as it seems to me but, I never really noticed it much with our previous dog.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I read just a little about the Candida and that sounds like it could be a possibility. She did get an antibiotic from vet not too long ago.

Pretty much since we brought her home she had loose stools about once a day on the breeders food. We waited to see if it was the stress of coming home, no change. We cut her food thinking we might be overfeeding, no change. Took her to the vet about 3 months ago, clean fecal, she gave her an antibiotic and some probiotics and suggested we may want to consider changing foods. Changed her food to Merrick and just within the last month and a half or so she's had normal stools pretty much all the time.

Eventually we plan to change her to a Grain free food but, they look to be high in calcium and because she is only 7 months old we want to wait until she's a bit older to change her over.

·
Registered
65 Posts
managing a smell

if you feed the dog raw food i`ve noticed mine if i wasan`t looking would rub all over the spot where the food was..... just a thought

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I bet she'd be a good candidate for a raw diet. I've noticed that dogs fed raw have less "doggy" odor. It's entirely possible there's something in her food that's causing a yeast overgrowth in her skin, some dogs just don't do well on certain foods, grains are usually the culprit but not always. Not sure what's in Merrick kibble, but look at the ingredient label for corn, wheat, barley, or rice products. You could try a grain-free product like Costco's Nature's Domain, it's a good food and quite affordable.

After you bathe her, try using a vinegar rinse. just dilute white vinegar with water and pour it over her after the bath; leave it in and don't rinse it. The acidic pH of the vinegar helps discourage microbial overgrowth on the skin.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
After you bathe her, try using a vinegar rinse. just dilute white vinegar with water and pour it over her after the bath; leave it in and don't rinse it. The acidic pH of the vinegar helps discourage microbial overgrowth on the skin.

Or she might just end up smelling like Dog Salad :rofl:

It's good advice. I'm in a silly mood today.

·
Registered
629 Posts
The smell emanates from her coat in general, it's not gas, breath, ears etc... Almost like a milder version of wet dog.

We are feeding Merrick Classic Puppy right now. She was on Chicken Soup for the puppy lover's souls large breed at the breeders recommendation but, it gave her the ****s something awful and she still had a bit of wet dog odor.

To be fair I do have a fairly sensitive nose so, it may not actually be as powerful as it seems to me but, I never really noticed it much with our previous dog.

Since she didn't do well on those two I would look for similar ingredients in each and try to avoid those ingredients with the next brand I buy.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Since she didn't do well on those two I would look for similar ingredients in each and try to avoid those ingredients with the next brand I buy.
To clarify she's been doing well on the Merrick food. She only had occasional loose stools for about a week after switching which, I don't think is unusual with vet meds and a change in diet.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Well if she's smelling really bad then maybe she's not doing as well on it as you think. I would consider trying a grain free kibble for her if you can't do raw. Also have you tried giving her fish oil and coconut oil? My dog gets those everyday and his coat is satin soft, super shiny and he has no odor(he's also on a grain free kibble and raw a few times a week). Fish and coconut oil work wonders, just make sure if you try them to get unrefined extra virgin coconut oil(I get mine on Amazon).

1 - 20 of 39 Posts