German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,725 Posts
Kinda like the neighbor who doesn't want to hear kids playing basketball in their own driveways, or hear babies crying, or dang those birds that chirps as soon as the sun comes up.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Some people have this illusion of grandeur which makes them think whatever they want they are entitled to. Or that they're so important that if something annoys them we must do something about it. Now where the real issue seems to be is that we as a society are too afraid of hurting someone's feelings so we no longer tell this person from the get go to shut the **** up. They're stupid.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Kinda like the neighbor who doesn't want to hear kids playing basketball in their own driveways, or hear babies crying, or dang those birds that chirps as soon as the sun comes up.
Those birds have some nerve. :laugh2:

My suggestion to this guy would be to have his ear drums removed. Problem solved.

·
Registered
31,348 Posts
Debarking doesn't solve the problem of barking. It just changes the sound and intensity. I find it a disgusting practice and can't believe any reputable vet would do this as a voluntary option.

·
Banned
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Debarking doesn't solve the problem of barking. It just changes the sound and intensity. I find it a disgusting practice and can't believe any reputable vet would do this as a voluntary option.
Exactly, it makes the situation by far worse. It's so painful to my ears hearing them have to like cry to speak. Absolutely terrible.

And the vets that offer that are greedy bastards, doesn't matter their reputable reputation, they clearly don't care if they allow that.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I'm totally that neighbor - PEOPLE SERIOUSLY BE QUIET! - but I am not going around suggesting that we de-chirp birds or children.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Exactly, it doesn't stop the barking, it just changes the noise. It's been illegal here in RI for a couple years now but we had an elderly neighbor who had a yorkie that was debarked. It sounded like a car with a bad fanbelt.

·
Premium Member
11,210 Posts
there are groups of people who SERIOUSLY hate the fact that people keep dogs as pets - they have online forums and groups and are rabid about pet dogs because of poop, barking etc....they really want to eradicate pet ownership - not PETA type fanaticism, but just plain old hate- they think dogs (and cats) should be wiped out due to the inconvenience etc they cause to non pet owning people.....it is really scary to read some of the stuff posted

:( :( :(

Lee

·
Banned
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
there are groups of people who SERIOUSLY hate the fact that people keep dogs as pets - they have online forums and groups and are rabid about pet dogs because of poop, barking etc....they really want to eradicate pet ownership - not PETA type fanaticism, but just plain old hate- they think dogs (and cats) should be wiped out due to the inconvenience etc they cause to non pet owning people.....it is really scary to read some of the stuff posted

:( :( :(

Lee
That's absolutely concerning. I don't understand why people care about owning a dog as a pet... Or care about why other people own dogs as pets.. It's none of their business so why must they feel the need to get involved? Anyone who dedicates their time to on online forums spreading hatred ... Are the type of people that really need to be evaluated and watched. I don't understand why they cannot comprehend the fact that dogs are constantly saving people on a daily basis... Along with dogs helping people who are in need (service dogs.)
Plus we all know that back then... Dogs were very useful rather than just a companion, they constantly worked just to benefit us, and get love and attention from us...

That's absolutely sickening, honestly. I've never been a fan of people who are complete dog haters to be honest, they've always seem fishy to me. It's like this one girl I knew for basically my whole life, she saw me walking my 9 week old puppy and made a giant scene (she hates dogs, also a vegetarian, ironically) when her pal ran up petting and squishing my dog (I know her friend too) without my permission, but I then asked if she'd like to pet my pup, and instead she gave me a snotty answer saying; "No. I hate dogs." She was constantly eye rolling at me too, and turning around rather than facing me and trying to "look at her phone" to play it off.... She than see's me again later and than looks at me, then my dog; "Him again, really?" As if I had no right to be around, I get dirty looks from her too, jut for being a dog owner?

It's a pretty messed up situation.

Also...Seriously, looking at dogs on YouTube that have been 'debarked' is honestly mortifying.... Reading the comments too from people saying; "People are to quick to judge, my dog never stopped barking, ever! We had to do it, plus we didn't want to re-home her/him." - Makes my jaw drop... I honestly do not understand this mentality at all...

Why do people even bother to adopt a dog, and or purchase a puppy from a breeder if they cannot accept the fact that their dog is gonna bark? It's their form of communication... Everyone knows this, so why even bother adopting a dog? And the fact that people say messed up things like; "It's better than re-homing!" is even more concerning... Because in all honesty... A dog being surrendered to a shelter is much better than a dog losing it's form of communication and having to hear the hurting cries... Plus the dog will actually have a chance of being adopted.. But if those people do one day indeed decide to re-home their 'debarked' dog, it's chance of being adopted has completely faded. Can't believe people even are considering this procedure either... It's nothing beneficial.. In the end you will most likely be spending $2,000 to correct your dog's breathing, and in the end... You're gonna be hearing a much more worse sound than a bark, you're gonna hear the screams of a dog who's trying to bark but can't, it doesn't even sound right, it's so pointless.

Even more selfish how people say things like; "Well, if my dog keeps barking... We will get kicked out of where I live." .. Okay than, it's either you re-home the dog, and or, you .. As a owner who has the responsibility of a dog (you always take this responsibility the moment you bring a dog home) go find a behaviorist and or personal trainer, and not only that register your dog for obedience classes. A dog isn't gonna non-stop bark... 24/7 for no reason.

Honestly upsetting...

I really wish the law cared about animals in general... When will people stop treating dogs as objects and nothing more than a property item? They have a beating heart, they have eyes, and they have a brain... That should be enough to set tough laws that lead to as bad punishments a person who breaks the law endures. Plus, any vet that is 'reputable' and offers this type of procedure loses all credibility from me, it clearly shows they aren't into being a vet because they have a love for animals and a passion... It just proves that the end of the day they're looking to make a profit.... Ending the day with a greedy mind.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
I have no idea why people let their dogs bark nonstop in residential neighborhoods. People are entitled to the peaceful enjoyment of their property without somebody's dog destroying their peace and quiet.

One neighbor has two Pits. One is relatively quiet. The other spends it's life obsessing about the comings and goings on my property. I do have very thick, high hedges around my property but it is of no help. I can't open my back door without setting it off and it will not shut up until I bring my dog and myself back inside.

Neighbor next door has a Yorkie and a Chi. The Yorkie is nice, the Chi never shuts it's mouth. As soon as any neighbor opens their door, the Chi starts screaming non stop until the person goes back inside and the screaming subsides to nonstop yapping again.

I don't advocate debarking, but I am all for strictly enforced dog barking laws with progressively severe penalties for repeat offenders.

It can't always be about the dog owner. Sometimes sleeping babies, people who work swing shifts, or who are sick, or who just lost a loved one, etc., have rights too. What is the saying about one's rights end where the next person's rights begin? When you choose to live in a close neighborhood, you assume the extra responsibility to accommodate the extra burden of RESPECTING the people of your community, not expect them to accommodate your choice to own a dog.

·
Banned
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I have no idea why people let their dogs bark nonstop in residential neighborhoods. People are entitled to the peaceful enjoyment of their property without somebody's dog destroying their peace and quiet.

One neighbor has two Pits. One is relatively quiet. The other spends it's life obsessing about the comings and goings on my property. I do have very thick, high hedges around my property but it is of no help. I can't open my back door without setting it off and it will not shut up until I bring my dog and myself back inside.

Neighbor next door has a Yorkie and a Chi. The Yorkie is nice, the Chi never shuts it's mouth. As soon as any neighbor opens their door, the Chi starts screaming non stop until the person goes back inside and the screaming subsides to nonstop yapping again.

I don't advocate debarking, but I am all for strictly enforced dog barking laws with progressively severe penalties for repeat offenders.

It can't always be about the dog owner. Sometimes sleeping babies, people who work swing shifts, or who are sick, or who just lost a loved one, etc., have rights too. What is the saying about one's rights end where the next person's rights begin? When you choose to live in a close neighborhood, you assume the extra responsibility to accommodate the extra burden of RESPECTING the people of your community, not expect them to accommodate your choice to own a dog.
Yes, but why not re-home them then? If they cannot fix the issue, the dog should be re-homed. My friend had a poodle mix she transported from Mexico, and the dog had multiple issues.. Leash pulling, snarling and snapping at other dogs... The biggest one of all was.. A constant barking problem, you could eat in front of that dog, and that dog is non-stop gonna bark at you, or you could open the door, or even walk by her house (which has a long entrance way) and her poodle would hear and non-stop bark. The dog didn't even know basic commands.. Like sit...

I took care of that dog for 2 months because she had to visit her mother who had cancer in New Zealand, I fixed the leash pulling issue easily, along with the other issues, I even fixed the barking issue so the dog never barks anymore, and now knows the "quiet" command. She instantly jaw dropped when I fixed all these issues. This is the issue with these type of owners, they don't care to fix the issues... Yet, they'll make up nonsense saying they saw one "behaviorist" so the option now turns to "debarking" because the behaviorist cannot fix it. Yet, the problem isn't fixed, it's worse, while the poor dog sounds worse than a squealing pig... All because these people refuse to surrender their dog, when the dog is in by far worse care.

It's like the same people who adopt dogs out of the shelter because they "feel good" for doing it.. This one lady use to do it all the time, the dog was so poorly neglected... Not properly house trained, constantly eating a whole bag of cat food, food coloring... Had food allergies.. ****, she didn't even bother to gradually change the dog's food on a 7 day period, she just constantly swapped his food. Poor dog, and constantly barked. These are the type of people who don't bother to fix this barking issue themselves.

Plus, there's many training videos on YouTube, even Zak George shows exactly how to do it, but they don't do it.

You are right though, they should have respect for their communities. I'm a realtor, so is everyone in my family... Having dogs is like my side hobby because I absolutely love the breed and dogs in general (was going to be a vet), another realtor up my street, they make $2.1 million dollars a year, and guess what, they own two German Shepherd dogs... And, they don't even take care of them, they get the nanny's to take care of them, when the dogs see a person, they non-stop bark... Spinning in circles crazy, while barking, the whole neighborhood can hear them, and then they get other dogs in the neighborhood non-stop barking. The dogs have almost attacked ME, my car and my puppies at least 4 times due to the lack of socialization and the owner(s) and nanny's not being able to control them (leash pulling.) These issues can easily be corrected, but people like them don't care. Everyone in the neighborhood complains about them, they still don't do anything.

Yes, sometime it IS just the dog, but I find that more so a lie. Cause like I said, look at the people who OWN dogs like this.
I also have two pitbulls down my street who have to be muzzled, and leash pulled, they too almost attacked my dogs... Because the guy who walks them can't control them, they too uncontrollably bark... And don't even know basic commands, one of the pit bulls bit my brother for no reason.... They bark constantly because of no socialization... And because the owner knows what he's doing.

My friend's shepherd never barked ever (Zain), he only barked on command, she trained him constantly (all positive training of course) for two straight years because she's dedicated to the breed.\

Edit: --- Like to mention, there is a lady up my street who owns 2 small dogs and a German Pointer, the dogs lack socialization.. But that's because it's an elderly lady who owns them and loves them to death but cannot give them the proper car, she's a rich lady so she hired nanny's the other day the nanny walked them.. The nanny had no clue how to handle dogs, and the dogs witness my dogs playing Frisbee, they instantly started barking non-stop... And then the rest of the neighborhood dogs started barking uncontrollably... I then witnessed the nanny viciously beating all the dogs and telling them to shut up. I've walked by the owners house many times where they've sat outside and rush the gate non-stop barking, and or if a car goes by.. Non-stop barking... If a leaf is blown by the wind.. Non-stop barking. These are the type of people who own dogs.
They simply just don't care. I asked the elderly lady too if any of her dogs knew commands and or been to obedience school. She said no, they know nothing, never been to obedience school and they're "house" dogs. (So they rarely go on walks.) ...

·
Banned
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also sorry about my grammar issues I don't normally go over what I write, tired as well ;)

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
@Elf. The problem with these people is that they don't recognize their barking dogs as a problem. Some people feel it is their right to do as they please, the heck with the neighbors. It is an I, me, my, mine society where consideration for others doesn't cross the minds of many. The problem is bigger than barking dogs, it is a matter of lack of respect for others.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
My dogs rarely bark outside, but Batman can be a barker in his crate. It drives me nuts. I keep the windows shut almost all the time because I don't want to bother the neighbors and I never know when he will start, he goes through these phases(sometimes you don't hear a peep out of him for days). I have tried bark collars, the egg, a squirt bottle, everything and nothing works. He can be outside all day swimming and enjoying the outdoors, but the minute he comes in and the mood strikes he starts digging and barking. I do know I would be very upset if I was fined for something like this, considering I try everything to shut him up. I actually thought about the debarking with him, but I could never do it for real. I will eventually find something that works for him, for the love of God there has to be something out there:smile2:

·
Registered
2,408 Posts

I wouldn't say I advocate strictly enforced laws/ordinances, but I live by a pretty strict standard. If my dog is barking in our backyard, I am on top of her in a matter of seconds. for some reason, she absolutely cannot stand it when the neighbors open their upstairs window. She gets corrected for that, and she's getting better at controlling it and quieting faster when reminded, but her default when they open that window is to bark.

A friend of mine once brought up the point about the baby and barking, and how it took only one bark to ruin the baby's nap. I felt for her, and I understood why she advocated for the strictest of noise ordinances, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect dogs never to bark. I do think I'm pretty reasonable about addressing it immediately, so I would hope that just because my dog isn't perfect, we wouldn't face consequences.

But I do agree with your point that the responsibility is mine to keep her from being a nuisance. She's not allowed to sit out there and bark, and we continue working with her on the barking to reinforce the stopping on command. I consider that to be a reasonable expectation that my neighbors could have of me.

As far as I can tell, people seem pretty understanding on both sides, though. There are currently more dogs than children on my block, so we are kind of all in that boat. The houses without dogs are certainly outnumbered, but hearing a dog bark on that block is surprisingly rare given the sheer number of them.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
The neighbors I spoke of don't try to quiet their dogs. They are okay with it. I don't understand why people move into quiet communities and can't comprehend that their noise pollution is serious problem, all they have to do is stop and listen.

Regarding babies sleeping, I heard that eventually they learn to sleep through it. I say they probably are exhausted. But the reason I mention this is somebody else wrote I once something to the effect that the babies don't get used to it, they get overwhelmed and shut down. What a terrible thing to do to a little baby.

For the record, my dogs bark once in a while too, but I am on it ASAP.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
The neighbors I spoke of don't try to quiet their dogs. They are okay with it. I don't understand why people move into quiet communities and can't comprehend that their noise pollution is serious problem, all they have to do is stop and listen.

Regarding babies sleeping, I heard that eventually they learn to sleep through it. I say they probably are exhausted. But the reason I mention this is somebody else wrote I once something to the effect that the babies don't get used to it, they get overwhelmed and shut down. What a terrible thing to do to a little baby.

For the record, my dogs bark once in a while too, but I am on it ASAP.
I'm more in the camp that babies, like puppies, figure out how to cope with their world. And they kind of have to.

I mean, I don't know anyone who would purposely try to disturb a baby's nap all the time, but people in a regular neighborhood make noise. Life isn't silent. The neighborhood itself might be loud. I live on a street where police/fire sirens are not uncommon at random times of day and night. I'm not far from either station, so my street is the route they use. We also have a major airport not far from the south part of the city, so you'll hear airplanes overhead. It's not a quiet place. A dog constantly barking - honestly not sure I'd even notice unless it was my own dog.

Either the babies born on my block are giant balls of stress (and the ones I know don't seem to be), or they learn to manage.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
I'm more in the camp that babies, like puppies, figure out how to cope with their world. And they kind of have to.

I mean, I don't know anyone who would purposely try to disturb a baby's nap all the time, but people in a regular neighborhood make noise. Life isn't silent. The neighborhood itself might be loud. I live on a street where police/fire sirens are not uncommon at random times of day and night. I'm not far from either station, so my street is the route they use. We also have a major airport not far from the south part of the city, so you'll hear airplanes overhead. It's not a quiet place. A dog constantly barking - honestly not sure I'd even notice unless it was my own dog.

Either the babies born on my block are giant balls of stress (and the ones I know don't seem to be), or they learn to manage.
I disagree. I think babies can easily become flooded with stimuli and shut down no different than a puppy. I don't think they adapt because they have to, I think the flooding manifests itself in other ways such as illness or a baby that has a hard time being soothed or finally falls asleep out of sheer exhaustion.

Neighbors who let their dogs nuisance bark deliberately let their dog disturb sleeping babies and ill or convalescing people or people who work night shift. Neighborhoods can be loud. People are busy living life, but there is no excuse for non stop barking dogs. That is just plain rude and disrespectful.

Some noise, sirens, trains, planes, are unavoidable. Dogs nuisance barking is easily managed and controlled IF owners comprehend it is a problem.

If you want to take it a step further, non stop barking dogs is illegal in most neighborhoods and can be reported. If laws are lacking, owners who let their dogs bark nonstop can be sued and it has been done.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts