German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
That guy wouldn't be charged here. Why is a GSD running rampant? What was the dog's owners thinking?

We can all be angry at the man with the gun or at the gun if we want but the villian here is the victim's owners. People shouldn't let their dogs BE on other people's property.

All that guy would have to say is the dog barked and growled at me, or was chasing my kid, and his shooting the dog is completely justified.

Personally, I had years of pain with my neighbor's pitt mix as it would come snarling and running toward my dogs as I would load them into the car. At one point the sherriff's department told me to shoot the dog. The dog warden and the sherriff's department never did solve that problem. The woman lost her house and moved away.

People HAVE to keep their property under control. Sorry, dogs are property. And when your property threatens, or infringes on someone else's, you are responsible. The owners of the GSD are responsible for this dog's death.

So the guy killed a retriever too. Well, at least he is not just picking on shepherds. And owners of retrievers, and terriers, and hounds need to keep their pets under control too. Actually, the retriever is a little different and it bothers me a little more even though I have no feelings for the breed. But, a retriever is a hunting dog. People are allowed to take their hunting dogs and hunt with them off lead, it is possible that a hunting dog might not follow the property lines and may in search of game stray onto private lands. Hunters who hunt with dogs have to do their best not to let this happen, but sometimes dogs go, and sometimes they get lost. Sometimes people shoot them running dear, bothering livestock or when they are stuck in traps.

I do not like it that this is the case, but the owners of this shepherd should be kicking themselves right now.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with you. My neighbors had a Sharpei (sp?) that would always charge me from the front porch when i'd come home. It finally bit me one night (I was pregnant) and did some major damage.... dog is in puppy heaven now.

·
Registered
15,955 Posts
I am aware of laws that only allow you to kill someone else's animal if it is threatening you or your livestock. Evidently, where this took place, chasing wild game is not a "mortal" sin. There is nothing to indicate that the dog did anything else except chase a turkey.
This is a little like if I drop my wallet on your sidewalk by accident, it doesn't give you the right to keep it.

·
Registered
501 Posts
i think this is sad, why not call animal control? it makes me think of when beamer was 5 months old & got out of our control, ran off & was gone for 7 days. if someone had shot her, i would've shot them. =X

theres a guy that lives on a road by ours, when we lost beamer & went to ask people if they had seen her, he was like "i shoot all dogs that run on my property i don't take a second to see what they look like, sorry"

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally Posted By: middleofnowhere I am aware of laws that only allow you to kill someone else's animal if it is threatening you or your livestock. Evidently, where this took place, chasing wild game is not a "mortal" sin. There is nothing to indicate that the dog did anything else except chase a turkey.
This is a little like if I drop my wallet on your sidewalk by accident, it doesn't give you the right to keep it.
Nicely said!

·
Registered
979 Posts
I am in awe that some people can "guarantee" that their dog will NEVER get away from them. My theory is "never say never". This could happen to any one of us in my opinion. I feel bad for the dog and sorry for the guy that feels it is his right to shoot any dog that wanders onto his property. I hope he doesn't feel the same way about kids

·
Premium Member
11,244 Posts
I know a vet here who has fenced in property whose 2 WHIPPETS - on their own property!!! -were shot by hunters from a tree blind on adjoining property. Hunting season, they said the dogs were bothering the deer.

It still takes a mean or sick person to shoot someone's dog IMO - given the dog is NOT threatening, out of control running livestock etc.

Poor dogs....

Lee

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
You are suggesting that AC is the same wherever you live. It is not. Our county, which is the largest county (square miles) in Ohio has one guy who is the dog Warden.

His phone number is unlisted.

You have to call the sherriff or county commisioners to get the number for the dog warden.

The sherriff's department doesn't bother with dog calls.

Neither does the dog warden.

We have a little run down shelter that is run by volunteers and always full. They usually cannot even take dogs if you drop them off.

Now, unless there was someone watching while he shot the dog, there is nothing to stop him from saying that the dog was snarling, snapping, growling, barking, or lunging at him.

If you want your dog to be alive, keep it under wraps.

Yes, it is possible to make a mistake and let your dog get out. Mistakes happen. Sometimes mistakes hurt really badly. It doesn't make it someone else's fault that your dog is dead. The dog would have been just as dead if it ran in front of a car.

The dog's life is the responsibility of its owner.

I have two cats hanging around my house right now that do not belong to me. One of them looks like a female in heat. She looks well-taken care of. The other looks like a cat left on its own when my neighbors moved. He does not look like he is taking care of himself, maybe he is sick.

I cannot afford to vet every cat that someone abandons. I am fearful that I could catch rabies from these cats. The dog warden does not bother with cats because according to him, they are not a domestic animal. The shelter won't take them either. The health department will not get involved unless you HAVE BEEN bitten by the animal -- boy that will make everyone happy. Not everyone wants to bother with managing other people's pets. Not everyone wants other people's pets on their property. If you want your pet to remain healthy and alive, keep them under control.

What am I going to do about these two cats?

What are my options?

And Chels, no matter how much you love your dog, if somebody shoots your dog, you cannot shoot the person. You would go to jail for a very long time. And rightly so. If someone crashes into your car and you shoot them, your are going to prison. Property damage does not equal damage to people. Beyond that, a dogs live, however better dogs are than people, and no matter how scummy the person is, does not equal a person's life.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Wolfstraum, what about cats? What do you do about them? I do not WANT to shoot these cats. I need alternatives. Since I am gone to work 12 hours per day, dropping them off at anyplace that is not open saturday or sunday is out of the question, given I can catch them.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
I have to disagree with you. As responsible as most GSD owners are, a dog can get away from them. Futhermore, there is no indication that the dog was a threat to the shooter. And, the guy had shot a lab prior to that. I have no idea where you got the idea the dog was a threat to the person. I am a hunter, but have no respect for a guy that wants to test his 30-06 rifle on a dog.

I do rescue, and as careful as I am, every now and then a rescue will get away. Fortunately, I live on a small Island and my neighbors are very dog friendly.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
The guy never said that the dog was, that is why he is in trouble, but if he did SAY the dog charged at him or his kids, that's it, everyone goes home.

The dog does not need to be aggressive for someone to say that he was and get away with it.

So the burden of keeping your animal safe is yours. A dog that dies in the road is just as dead as a dog that was shot to death.

The vast majority of dogs that get shot by neighbors are not on their first visit to the neighbor's property. So sorry, dogs get away from us is really unacceptable. Maybe they do. Then it is your fault, you did not contain the dog properly.

I know, I had an operation on my hand that causes me to drop things now and again. I have dropped my leashes a number of times. If the dog died being struck in the road because I dropped the leash, it is STILL my fault.

People can be a lot more careful than they are.

Nearly 5 1/2 years ago I lost my bitch Arwen. She got out of her kennel and was gone for 19 days in the dead of winter. Christmas day she escaped. When miraculously I got her back, I assessed the situation and determined that it would NEVER happen again. I borrowed money to build an inpregnable fortress in my back yard where my dogs are safe. If ever they do get out of one of the kennels, they will still be held by my back yard. But if one of them DOES get out, I am responsible for whatever the dog does and whatever happens to the dog out there.

And give me a break about the labrador. THEY CAN BE AGGRESSIVE. I have been charged by a lab in training class. I train with a bunch of shepherds and was charged by a chocolate lab. People think labs and goldens are powder puff dogs. Not necessarily so.

The thing is that just because you love your dog and you think it is a nice dog, doesn't mean that everyone else loves your dog and wants them running over their land. The property owner should have never had the opportunity to shoot the dog. It is the dog owner's responsibility.

When we sit around being angry and blaming jerks for being jerks, we do not bother to fix what we did wrong. When we take responsibility for our actions or inaction, we can improve the situation so that another dog will not suffer the same fate.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
I agree with you in some respects. Of course, if I drop a lease or the dog escapes from my truck before I can attach the lease, and gets hit by a car it is my responsibility. And as you know you have to be so darn careful with rescues.

Labs can be mean, my friend Tom adopted one that this woman kept in the basement for three years. Jethro, the lab, still has problems with females.

Nonetheless, the guy shot the dog with a high powered rifle, and there is no indication that the man or his family were threatened. My hunch is the dog was more then a 100 yards or so away. As mentioned, this was not the first time he shot an animal.

If I shot every dog that came onto my property I could start a pet cemetary. Rather then do that I prefer to introduce them to my dogs and let them play.

Another related issue is how often do you let your dog(s) run free. Last week I got a very powerful, but affectionate dog from my rescue group. The pup is nine months old and never been off lease.
To me that is sad. But it begs another question, albeit controversial, how often do you let your dogs off lease.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
That itty bitty artical doesnt really have a whole lot of detail and leave alot to the imagination.

Im mostly with selzer on this one. The dog wasnt on its own property and in all honesty, we dont know EXCATLY what went down when either shooting happened.

I know that accidents happen, they happen to everyone and accidents will always happen in one way or another. However an accident doesnt take away the fact that the DOG OWNER is still the responsible party for the dog.

If the guy is anything like some people I know, he probably feels he shouldnt HAVE to justify shooting a dog that came onto HIS property.

Perhaps he is terrified of dogs, perhaps the dog has been on his property before and shown aggression and he gave a warning then, perhaps he thought it was a different dog that had shown aggression, perhaps he just likes to shoot things.....

I could probably bring up ALOT of perhaps this and perhaps thats but none of its going to do any good since we werent there.

All I can say is, perhaps a good investigation will be done.....

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
Being from Tenn, and I having gotten my military training at Fort Knox, KY, I suspect you know how powerful a 30-06 rifle is.

Perhaps, a word youoften used, if you, Selzer and I met this guy we would realize what a nut case he is. You don't shoot a dog with a rifle that is powerful enough to kill a human from 600 yards away.

Again, this was not the first time he killed a dog.

As for Selzer and his comments about hunting, and the lab being killed, whoa. The GSD is also an excellent hunter, few including Selzer realize this, but LOL they are great with small game, and some with ducks and greese.

The most versatile dog on the planet; the GSD.

Finally, we were not there, as you said. Nonetheless, from what we know I have little respect for this guy.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
perhaps he owns rabbits or chickens and has been wiped out by dogs before. We really do not know.

How often do I let my dogs off leash?

Every day, they run around the training yards before I put them in their kennels and again before I bring them in for the night. All day they are unleashed in their kennels and they are good sized kennels any where from 10' by 15' to 10' by 20'. While that may not suffice for excersize, they are not restricted as they would be in a crate or on a leash or on a chain.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Originally Posted By: selzerAnd Chels, no matter how much you love your dog, if somebody shoots your dog, you cannot shoot the person. You would go to jail for a very long time. And rightly so. If someone crashes into your car and you shoot them, your are going to prison. Property damage does not equal damage to people. Beyond that, a dogs live, however better dogs are than people, and no matter how scummy the person is, does not equal a person's life.
i would obviously not go shoot the guy, but he had no compassion for the fact our dog was missing. we were handing out flyers, & he was basically like "okay but im just gonna shoot your dog soo whatever." how would you feel if someone said that to you about a 5 month old puppy?

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
he was a sack of dung, of course. Was he just talking? There are idiots out there and we need to be vigilent to keep are dogs away from them.

When Arwen was missing we banged on the door of one of my neighbors, and the people were druggies who were afraid we were police. They were pretty unforgiving about us bothering them and making them hide their weed or meth. But they did not tell me that they would shoot my dog if they saw her.

Sometimes we do have to give people an incentive to be compassionate. Compassion is a choice. Some people have it, some don't. The only time they force people to be compassionate is when they are stealing their money under the guise of taxation.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts