14,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where's the OUCH smilie?

Wellness Exam - $42.00
Evening Exam - $15.00
Rabies Vaccine - $13.75
Nail Trim - $21.50
(What the
that should be a freebie and if not, that much?)
Fecal w/Giardia by Eliza - $34.51
Parvo/Distemper Titer - $99.70
Heartworm Test $67.50

I almost
when she told me $293.96!!

Too bad I like the office and vets so much

·
Registered
979 Posts
Wow!!! My vet always includes the nail trim at every visit no matter what we are in for at that time. Also, they never charge us for the visit. It's just marked $0.00

BUT, if you like them a lot then that is important too. Also, I live in small town area and my vet is in another small town by me so that is probably making a huge difference in prices.

I feel your pain though!!!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Wow!!!!!!!!! $21.50 for a nail trim, yikes. $67.50 for a heartworm test, double yikes!!!

I think I spent $1000 for all the dogs spring wellness checks, vaccines, bloodwork and such. Shoot, Bodo even had a cyst removed in the total cost now that I think of it. I guess I can't complain so much about the price of living in CA...

Hope your pocketbook heals soon!!

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And I drive a half hour to see them

Let's just hope that this is it for the year now!!!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
WOW, that is high!! What gets me the most is the $21.50 for the Nail Trim. I think for 21.50 I'll learn how to trim their nails!

My Vet also does the nail trim for free, I take them in every 2 weeks to get them cut and there is never a charge - probably only b/c I have spent a ton of $$ in the past.

I know here a Wellness exam runs around 40, heartworm test is 32, Rabies shot is 10, fecal is around 15 and the parvo distemper is around 18. Granted these were the prices last year so I'm sure they have gone up just as everything else has.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Quote: Fecal w/Giardia by Eliza - $34.51

I did a fecal w/ Giardia antigen for Zamboni today. $73.
I was able to drop it off. They didn't require an office visit, which I'm sure most vets would have. So that's nice. (I just wanted to check Boni since Camper has giardia.) But what's up with a $23 fecal?

I love my vet. I KNOW he's on the expensive side. I don't know what other vets around here charge. And I know that property taxes are skyrocketing, and there are rising energy costs, and WA has the highest minimum wage. But still.

$73 to analyze poop.
We do it here for free.

Holy Moly. Dogs. The ultimate luxury item.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Well, about the same here except for the nail trim! I drive 40 minutes to the Tri Cities for this vet and I do love them.

Nacho, my orange cat, had her dental in March. $297.
Havoc's neuter will be about $250.

·
Registered
932 Posts
wow my vet is $2 for nail trim and $20 for shots and exam total and rabies is $15 he is far cheaper than most I have seen to get xrays on hips/elbows is $125 and to get a dog fixed it is at most $100 for up to 100 lb dog

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Originally Posted By: Barb E....
Wellness Exam - $42.00
Evening Exam - $15.00
Rabies Vaccine - $13.75
Nail Trim - $21.50
(What the
that should be a freebie and if not, that much?)
Fecal w/Giardia by Eliza - $34.51
Parvo/Distemper Titer - $99.70
Heartworm Test $67.50
WOW - over $1 a nail? $15 because it's an evening exam? Except for the Wellness Exam, all those other prices are outrageous!

IMHO you should discuss the prices with your vet!!!

This is what happened to me years ago: My vet in MD, Dr. A, was extremely expensive so I started going to a vet closer to my house who was much cheaper, Dr. B. At Dr. B's, 3 out of 4 of the Hooligans came back HW positive, so Dr. B called Dr. A to get my records.

Dr. A was floored that I had started going to a new vet. My niece worked for him and he had her check prices at other vets in the DC area and it turned out his prices were the highest by far. As a result, he dropped all his prices across the board and I started going back to him.

Looking back I should have talked to Dr. A about his prices before going to a new vet.

By the way, Dr. B's HW tests were in error - none of the Hooligans had HW and it cost me about $200 getting everyone restested using two separate labs in addition to inhouse lab work.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Dog #1
Office visit - $50 (clipped nails no charge)
Lymes Erhlica & HW snap test - $40
Chem 25 - $70

Dog #2 (no charge for the office visit)
Lymes Erhlica & HW snap test - $40
DA2PLPV Booster Vac - $40
1st Lymes Disease Vac - $40
Thyroid Panel #1 (T3, T4) - $65

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
I wouldn't pay for the nail trim
I do it myself. I so hear you
whenever I take Brady to the vet minimum $200 a visit
My vet says get a smaller dog and I look at him and say there is NO other dog for me

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
I also just spend way over $500.- for my two dogs yearly exam, HW test, fecal, -and one had a rabies titer the other a chiro.adjustment. That's it.

We should all move to Nevada to see Tammy's vet.
The expense of the move will be quickly made up by all the vet cost we'll safe.

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
Originally Posted By: MaedchenI also just spend way over $500.- for my two dogs yearly exam, HW test, fecal, -and one had a rabies titer the other a chiro.adjustment. That's it.

We should all move to Nevada to see Tammy's vet.
The expense of the move will be quickly made up by all the vet cost we'll safe.
Yea, did you see he didn't charge me for Jarie's second surgery, ultrasounds, bloodwork, etc. WOW.
I love my vet.

He does not charge office visits, and nail trims are $7.00.

He also does not take appts. You just walk in. Great hours, 6am-8pm 7 days a week, and he handles his own after hour emergencies. He will also do a house call, if you can not get to his clinic.

Yup, I am keeping him!

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
WOW! I used to think my vet was expensive. We just paid
48 for exam (old vet was 30)
12 lepto
12 Bordetella
18 fecal
30 heartworm
no rabies this year
didn't charge me for the nailtrim, maybe because I sometimes refuse and do it myself.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally Posted By: 3K9Mom
Originally Posted By: ArycrestWOW - over $1 a nail?
Yes, but it was a nice French manicure (with a small diamond stud in one of his dew claws). Dante is very stylish now!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts