German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, we are currently fostering a GSD pup. We took our previous foster back to go to his new home and saw this little guy being bullied by his littermates. He was skin and bones. They were trying to separate him to feed him, but he was so scared to eat and they didn't have an empty kennel for him. So we brought him home and he's been with us for 2 months now. He's about 8 months old now, so 6 months when we brought him into our home. He was about 8.5 lbs when we got him and we were able to get him to about 14lbs within a few weeks, and that's where he's staying. He's staying around 14-15 lbs. He eats about 3 cups of food a day, his poops are solid until he gets ahold of something he's not supposed to have... He eats puppy pads, even the washable ones, toys, anything that gets close to his playpen. We have an 8 month old GSD and two other rescue dogs and they occasionally will leave their toys next to the playpen, and this little guy will grab it and eat it, whatever it is. I don't know how I haven't had to rush him to the emergency vet yet because the same piece of fabric from a toy had gone through his system 3 times! He'd eat it as soon as he pooped it back out, before I had a chance to grab it. The only reason it didn't go through a 4th time was because it was stuck coming out and I had to pull it out...fun!

Anyhow, he's been treated for worms and all of that when we first brought him home, and he's very alert and eats and drinks well. He's just not growing. I know that his mother doesn't produce enough milk and the pups from her previous litter are on the smaller side, but nothing like this little guy. He doesn't even look like a GSD, more like a coyote. But I know both his parents and both are champion bloodlines with all the health checks. We're ready to find him his forever home, but not sure how to go about it and if there's something more I can be doing to try and help him grow.

Pictures are of him and our GSD about a month ago, so they were around 7 months,
and then one of him enjoying the sun on the back porch. And yes, he often has patches of hair missing around his eyes or nose, but it grows back in within a few days, so not sure what that's about.
Dog German shepherd dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Fawn German shepherd dog

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been doing some research this morning and I'm starting to think he has pituitary dwarfism. It's the only thing that makes sense. Even if he was malnourished for a week, that was a couple of months ago and he's still not growing. I did just weigh him and he's at 15 lbs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do you have / can you take a photo of his teeth?

also, it’s unclear…. you placed your last foster dog in the same home that this puppy came from? who are you fostering through?
I foster for the breeder. When we took our last foster back for his vet check before going to his new home, we picked up this little guy. And I did the best I could getting a picture of his teeth, lol. Hope it works!
Hand Felidae Finger Carnivore Nail
Dog Carnivore Wood Dog breed Fawn

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What kind of breeder would allow him to bullied to the point of not being able to eat. Obviously needed fro them to take him to a vet, and ensure proper care. Per you he was 8.5 lbs at 6 months? None of this makes sense.
As I stated, they were separating him so that he could eat, and we treated him for worms, just in case. They definitely take care of their dogs. Hip and elbow certified, DM testing, ultrasounds for the mom's, etc.
We took him home to give him more one on one care and to get him in a more relaxed living situation. After 2 months, he hasn't grown much, which is why I suspect dwarfism. Plus, he still has his puppy fur. He started out on par with his siblings and just stopped growing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts